[SOLVED] Router Strength Help

Sagexx

Commendable
Jan 11, 2017
Hey guys I live in a basement apartment, the upstairs landlords and I have separate internet, we however use the same company. My computer is beside the router yet my signal bar is 70-80%, is there interference going on, is there something I can do in the router settings so that the signal strength is boosted and we downstairs get maximum download speed? We're suppose to get 50mbs but the most I've seen the download rate get up to is around 8. The internet seems to cut out quite a bit too when I go into my bedroom which again basement apartment so it's all on one floor, very small, there shouldn't be these issues but I'm assuming it has to do with the guys upstairs having internet as well.

Solution
Modern routers survey its neighbors and automatically pick the best channel. If you are curious however, I would ask GOOGLE "why manually configure wifi channel."

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
How did you measure your download speed of 8 Mbps? What router do you have? What wireless adapter (or laptop), do you have?

I wouldn't necessarily assume it's interference. It's normal to have 10+ wifi signals overlapping in apartments and the internet still generally works OK.

If you are next to the router, u should run an old boring ethernet cable, why bother with WIFI?

Did you configure this thing? talking to the correct SSID? Reboot it of course, needless to say? Have you tried reposition the router just a bit, 90 degree etc?

Sagexx

Commendable
Jan 11, 2017

I configured the router myself, I'm just wondering if I should be using a different channel or something along those lines since the same internet provider is used in this house but different routers.