Question Router suggestion

stickas

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2013
What's a good router for home? I'm looking for something like the old Linksys WAG200G which was pretty solid for me. Need it for standard usage and being able to modify it a bit for games etc.

That sure is a old router. That router contains a DSL modem. If you need a router with a DSL modem it will limit your choices.

Since you are going from something that old I suspect none of your end devices are not cutting edge technology either.

With wifi 1/2 the connection is your end device so buying say the very new wifi6 stuff will not do you any good if you can not actually use it.

I am going to bet a router that costs about $75 is going to be good enough for you. You should be able to get a router with a "number" 1200-1900. These do not really represent the speed but they likely will be more than 100 times faster than your current router.

Other features like support of stuff like network drives or parental controls etc only you can put a value on. The main router/wifi function should be very similar in performance between routers with the same numbers.

It really does not matter a huge amount which brand you purchase the technology has been on the market for quite some time so they have most the bugs out. I would stay with the major brand names just in case you would need any support.

stickas

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2013
That sure is a old router. That router contains a DSL modem. If you need a router with a DSL modem it will limit your choices.

Since you are going from something that old I suspect none of your end devices are not cutting edge technology either.

With wifi 1/2 the connection is your end device so buying say the very new wifi6 stuff will not do you any good if you can not actually use it.

I am going to bet a router that costs about $75 is going to be good enough for you. You should be able to get a router with a "number" 1200-1900. These do not really represent the speed but they likely will be more than 100 times faster than your current router.

Other features like support of stuff like network drives or parental controls etc only you can put a value on. The main router/wifi function should be very similar in performance between routers with the same numbers.

It really does not matter a huge amount which brand you purchase the technology has been on the market for quite some time so they have most the bugs out. I would stay with the major brand names just in case you would need any support.
I used to use that one a long time ago, yes. I have a new pc now so looking for something new in the networking department too. What are the good brands now? Used to be linksys and tp-link iirc. The numbers 1200-1900, are you talking about the written lan speed?

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS