[SOLVED] Router, Switch & Modem Issue

appletatoes

Honorable
Sep 3, 2017
I've been setting up a new home with fresh cabling and am at the final stages of configuring all of the settings for both the router and switch on the network. I'm having a problem where the router says "Your ISP's DHCP does not function properly." I have the modem plugged into port 24 on a 24 port Netgear ProSafe JGS524E & the router plugged into port 3 on the switch. The router is upstairs and plugged into the wall where a cable runs all the way into port 3 on the patch panel and then from port 3 on the patch panel to port 3 on the switch. Right now the modem is plugged into the WAN on the router and everything connects to the internet fine. With the modem plugged into port 24 on the switch and the router plugged into port 3 on the switch, the internet does not work with the router. I have the switch setup with DHCP disabled and has static addressing for communicating with the router. The router has DHCP enabled and the switch and the router seem to be communicating but I'm guessing there might be a problem with the switch but I'm not sure where. Perhaps DNS? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Jeremie

Solution
The connection must go

modem---router---switch--end devices.

You only get a single IP from the modem and that needs to be connected to the wan port. If you place a switch between the modem and the router and then connect end devices to switch only 1 device will get a IP address. The router only gives out ip address when you connect to the lan ports.

What you would have to have is 2 cables going to the remote room.

You would do

Modem----in wall cable 1 --> wan port on router----> lan port on router--- in wall cable 2----back to switch in closet----end devices.

You actually have a fancy switch that supports vlans so there is another way to do this, you will have to buy another small switch that also supports vlans. I...
The connection must go

modem---router---switch--end devices.

You only get a single IP from the modem and that needs to be connected to the wan port. If you place a switch between the modem and the router and then connect end devices to switch only 1 device will get a IP address. The router only gives out ip address when you connect to the lan ports.

What you would have to have is 2 cables going to the remote room.

You would do

Modem----in wall cable 1 --> wan port on router----> lan port on router--- in wall cable 2----back to switch in closet----end devices.

You actually have a fancy switch that supports vlans so there is another way to do this, you will have to buy another small switch that also supports vlans. I suspect though you will have to do lots of reading if you even consider this option since it appears you only have very basic knowledge of how you hook things up and vlans is especially with tags is very confusing when you first start.

Reactions: appletatoes
Solution
I've been setting up a new home with fresh cabling and am at the final stages of configuring all of the settings for both the router and switch on the network. I'm having a problem where the router says "Your ISP's DHCP does not function properly." I have the modem plugged into port 24 on a 24 port Netgear ProSafe JGS524E & the router plugged into port 3 on the switch. The router is upstairs and plugged into the wall where a cable runs all the way into port 3 on the patch panel and then from port 3 on the patch panel to port 3 on the switch. Right now the modem is plugged into the WAN on the router and everything connects to the internet fine. With the modem plugged into port 24 on the switch and the router plugged into port 3 on the switch, the internet does not work with the router. I have the switch setup with DHCP disabled and has static addressing for communicating with the router. The router has DHCP enabled and the switch and the router seem to be communicating but I'm guessing there might be a problem with the switch but I'm not sure where. Perhaps DNS? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Jeremie

Yes, I would expect that to not work. As Bill said, Modem--> Router(DHCP and NAT) --> Switch.

This is because the Router does NAT(network address translation) to the modem. So you can have many devices with multiple IP address communicate as a single ip address to the modem.

Reactions: appletatoes