[SOLVED] Router to Cat5e to switch to Cat 6

Rathaniel

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2014
Will this work? I have a 5e cable already from my router to a switch in the loft, i will be moving house soon so im not going to replace the Cat5e cable. To future proof our next home i will get a Cat 6 cable or better. Can i use this from switch to a new device for now?

Solution
Depending on your new location's data plan, amount of household members/devices, daily usage, and advance NIC modules available on said devices, either CAT 5e or 6 will be fine. CAT 6 does offer 10Gbps at 250MHz unlike the max 1Gbps 100MHz for CAT 5e, so if you have a lot of people using it at once then you will benefit from CAT 6.

Thus if it's basic usage - CAT 5e will be plenty but CAT 6 will definitely be more than enough for home usage. Also side note, 1Gbps works at cables up to 100 meters, while 10Gbps only works up to ~55m.
Depending on your new location's data plan, amount of household members/devices, daily usage, and advance NIC modules available on said devices, either CAT 5e or 6 will be fine. CAT 6 does offer 10Gbps at 250MHz unlike the max 1Gbps 100MHz for CAT 5e, so if you have a lot of people using it at once then you will benefit from CAT 6.

Thus if it's basic usage - CAT 5e will be plenty but CAT 6 will definitely be more than enough for home usage. Also side note, 1Gbps works at cables up to 100 meters, while 10Gbps only works up to ~55m.

Reactions: Rathaniel
Solution

Rathaniel

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2014
We have over 15 devices wireless and 5 devices wired, our speed is only 37mbps but i'm thinking of getting CAT 6 because of 250MHz, what do you think?

I doubt our download speed will get higher than 400mbps (Maximum speed with Virgin we can't get it) within 10 years in UK.

But you answered my question. A CAT 6 cable will work in switch to my PC even if the cable from router to switch is CAT 5e.

We have over 15 devices wireless and 5 devices wired, our speed is only 37mbps but i'm thinking of getting CAT 6 because of 250MHz, what do you think?

I doubt our download speed will get higher than 400mbps (Maximum speed with Virgin we can't get it) within 10 years in UK.

But you answered my question. A CAT 6 cable will work in switch to my PC even if the cable from router to switch is CAT 5e.

Yeah that sounds fine, but when you get the chance upgrade the CAT 5e going from switch to router with a CAT 6 cable. With so many wireless devices you don't want any bottlenecks in wifi speed. And as Ralston wrote above, make sure you get it from a reputable source.

Ok i can't find many sellers of 6a on amazon i found https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLAT-CAT...hash=item3d609eab20:m:mRoJgsTYoV7B9gXCgCQ3SoQ they have 1.7m+ reviews as a company. Think ill go with this, very cheap too

Thanks for all help guys, ill see if any of you think i shouldn't buy this before i get it.

CAT 6a is meant for small businesses that require longer cable length to utilize the 10Gbps. It's helpful for CCTV, building automation, large office areas, etc.

If you found a good price, then I guess go for the 6a but you will not really utilize the performance for household uses anytime soon. Unless you also plan to setup cameras around the house later on. CAT 6 as I said before will be plenty enough for you.

Be aware cat6 cable is not actually certified to work at 10g. Now people know it will work at less than say 50 meters but there is no standard that says it must. 10g will run on short cat5e patch cables too many times but that means nothing really. With all the fake cable on the market it makes knowing what will and not work even harder to say. This is why we have cable certifications.

If you actually need it to run 10g you buy reputable cat6a cable or your just buy cat5e that is certified to run at 1g.

When you are installing it in a house walls the difference in price between cat6 and cat6a is not a lot anymore. You will never know if the cat6 cable really meets your future needs until it is too late. Pretty much do it right or not at all. I would run cat5e if price is a issue.

Reactions: SamirD