Router Transmit and Receive Frequencies

dick

My Toshiba modem/router reports a downstream frequency of 483.0 mHz,
and an upstream frequency of 28.01 mHz. I assume that means the
router transmits on 483.0 mHz and receives on 28.01 mHz. The wireless
adapters on the various computers in the network would than be doing
just the opposite. Is that correct? Also, anyone know the mode of
transmission? Narrow-band FM, etc.? I am trying to determine what
kind of receiver I need to evaluate the routers signal.

dick

I see I am already out in left field. I found that there are 11
channels (U.S.) in the 2.4 gHz range. Now I have to ask what the
upstream and downstream frequencies represent. Are these superimposed
on the 2.4 gHz operating frequency?

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 21:34:29 -0700, Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:

>My Toshiba modem/router reports a downstream frequency of 483.0 mHz,
>and an upstream frequency of 28.01 mHz. I assume that means the
>router transmits on 483.0 mHz and receives on 28.01 mHz. The wireless
>adapters on the various computers in the network would than be doing
>just the opposite. Is that correct? Also, anyone know the mode of
>transmission? Narrow-band FM, etc.? I am trying to determine what
>kind of receiver I need to evaluate the routers signal.

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 21:34:29 -0700, Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:

>My Toshiba modem/router reports a downstream frequency of 483.0 mHz,
>and an upstream frequency of 28.01 mHz. I assume that means the
>router transmits on 483.0 mHz and receives on 28.01 mHz. The wireless
>adapters on the various computers in the network would than be doing
>just the opposite. Is that correct? Also, anyone know the mode of
>transmission? Narrow-band FM, etc.? I am trying to determine what
>kind of receiver I need to evaluate the routers signal.

Those the cable modem frequencies. Next time you ask such a question,
kindly supply the model number of your equipment to avoid guesswork.

The downstream (download) band is from about 65Mhz to whatever the
upper limit of your cable system is running (usually 850MHz). The
return path (upstream or upload) is between 5 and 42MHz. The
modulation is probably 64-QAM downstream, and either 16-QAM or QPSK
upstream.

Read all about it under DOCSIS cable modems.
http://www.cable-modems.org/tutorial/

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

"Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message
> My Toshiba modem/router reports a downstream frequency of 483.0 mHz,
> and an upstream frequency of 28.01 mHz. I assume that means the
> router transmits on 483.0 mHz and receives on 28.01 mHz. The wireless
> adapters on the various computers in the network would than be doing
> just the opposite. Is that correct? Also, anyone know the mode of
> transmission? Narrow-band FM, etc.? I am trying to determine what
> kind of receiver I need to evaluate the routers signal.

Dick,

It's very unlikely that it receives on 28.01 MHz, since that frequency is
inside the 10 Meter Amateur band. I suspect you're seeing MB/s or Mb/s
rates: WiFi never used anything below 30 MHz AFAIK.

HTH.

Bill

dick

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 23:39:44 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
<jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote:

>On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 21:34:29 -0700, Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:
>
>>My Toshiba modem/router reports a downstream frequency of 483.0 mHz,
>>and an upstream frequency of 28.01 mHz. I assume that means the
>>router transmits on 483.0 mHz and receives on 28.01 mHz. The wireless
>>adapters on the various computers in the network would than be doing
>>just the opposite. Is that correct? Also, anyone know the mode of
>>transmission? Narrow-band FM, etc.? I am trying to determine what
>>kind of receiver I need to evaluate the routers signal.
>
>Those the cable modem frequencies. Next time you ask such a question,
>kindly supply the model number of your equipment to avoid guesswork.
>
>The downstream (download) band is from about 65Mhz to whatever the
>upper limit of your cable system is running (usually 850MHz). The
>return path (upstream or upload) is between 5 and 42MHz. The
>modulation is probably 64-QAM downstream, and either 16-QAM or QPSK
>upstream.
>
>Read all about it under DOCSIS cable modems.
> http://www.cable-modems.org/tutorial/

Thanks for the URL. Very informative. I didn't specify the model
number because Toshiba only makes one cable modem/router (PCX5000.)

dick

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 05:39:52 GMT, "William Warren"
<william_warren_nonoise@comcast.net> wrote:

>"Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message
>> My Toshiba modem/router reports a downstream frequency of 483.0 mHz,
>> and an upstream frequency of 28.01 mHz. I assume that means the
>> router transmits on 483.0 mHz and receives on 28.01 mHz. The wireless
>> adapters on the various computers in the network would than be doing
>> just the opposite. Is that correct? Also, anyone know the mode of
>> transmission? Narrow-band FM, etc.? I am trying to determine what
>> kind of receiver I need to evaluate the routers signal.
>
>Dick,
>
>It's very unlikely that it receives on 28.01 MHz, since that frequency is
>inside the 10 Meter Amateur band. I suspect you're seeing MB/s or Mb/s
>rates: WiFi never used anything below 30 MHz AFAIK.
>
>HTH.
>
>Bill

I noticed that too, but the status page for the modem setup is
definitely reporting the upstream frequency as 28.1 mHz. As I have
since learned, these are not the WiFi frequencies, but are the cable
frequencies that the modem is operating on. So being that I use WiFi
channel 6, the frequency should be 2.426 to 2.448 gHz. That doesn't
get reported on the status page.

Dick