Oblivion77

Honorable
Jul 6, 2018
Dear all

If I only want to open ports for a game that, for example, requires:
TCP: 1000, 1100
UDP: 1000, 1100

And I want to do it in the trigger port function.

What info shall I then insert?
Trigger port 0 ~ 0
Target port 0 ~ 0
For TCP, UDP or BOTH?

I have tried to experiment a bit, and when I put in only:
TCP
Trigger port 1000 ~ 1000
Target port 1000 ~ 1000
Then the game connected / connection open
How can that be, when I did not have put in the rest of the info? (TCP UDP 1000, 1100)

Thank you

Port triggering is a feature that creates inbound NAT rules based on outbound connections. This means that instead of having a fixed rule that forwards a specific port to a specific internal client, it waits for an outbound connection to be made using a trigger port and, when that happens, creates a temporary inbound NAT rule for a specified port directed to the client that initiated the connection.

When a service requires multiple ports, it is usually for different features or for protocol downgrading. The rule you defined should be sufficient to create inbound NAT to 1000/TCP when an outbound connection using port 1000/TCP is initiated. This may be sufficient for the game to connect, hence it works. What we don't know is if the requirement for UDP ports are to downgrade the protocol in case of performance issues, or if it is needed for some other feature.

My recommendation is to create rules for everything that is stated as required. Also, if possible, create hard NAT rules (port forwarding) instead of using triggers.

Reactions: Oblivion77

Oblivion77

Honorable
Jul 6, 2018
Port triggering is a feature that creates inbound NAT rules based on outbound connections. This means that instead of having a fixed rule that forwards a specific port to a specific internal client, it waits for an outbound connection to be made using a trigger port and, when that happens, creates a temporary inbound NAT rule for a specified port directed to the client that initiated the connection.

When a service requires multiple ports, it is usually for different features or for protocol downgrading. The rule you defined should be sufficient to create inbound NAT to 1000/TCP when an outbound connection using port 1000/TCP is initiated. This may be sufficient for the game to connect, hence it works. What we don't know is if the requirement for UDP ports are to downgrade the protocol in case of performance issues, or if it is needed for some other feature.

My recommendation is to create rules for everything that is stated as required. Also, if possible, create hard NAT rules (port forwarding) instead of using triggers.
Thank you so much for your long and good reply

Reactions: Murissokah