Router upgrade for Gigabit

AzureDragon89

Honorable
May 10, 2014
I recently upgraded my service from Comcast to the Gigabit tier. and i ended up buying my own modem currently using a Netgear CM1000 DOCSIS 3.1 modem.

my Current router is a Netgear AC1200 R6220 is this router suitable for this kind of connection almost everything is wired Via CAT6 cable the only things using the wifi are my cellphone tablets etc
the Wifi area is a one bedroom apartment not very big

I play lots of online games have a few smart bulbs in the apartment

the "nice" people at best buy told me that my current router is not good for the modem I have and that I need to drop $150-$200 on a nighthawk are they full of it or do i need to upgrade the router as well ?

Solution
For wired connectivity, as long as the router has gigabit ports on the LAN and WAN you will get most of your speed. Might a newer router add 50mbit at the top end? Maybe. Is 900Mbit vs 950Mbit going to change anything? No. Is that worth $150? Only you can answer that.

AzureDragon89

Honorable
May 10, 2014

so for a wired connection, they are both about the same? i really don't care about wifi I only use it on the phone to keep my data rates down

kanewolf

Titan
For wired connectivity, as long as the router has gigabit ports on the LAN and WAN you will get most of your speed. Might a newer router add 50mbit at the top end? Maybe. Is 900Mbit vs 950Mbit going to change anything? No. Is that worth $150? Only you can answer that.

Solution

AzureDragon89

Honorable
May 10, 2014

Thank you for that response

The funny thing is other than wifi most other extra features you can't actually use on many routers. To get the near gigabit speeds routers now use a hardware NAT accelerator. This bypasses the CPU. Many feature..even simple ones like router utilization..no longer work since the CPU does not see the data. If you disable the hardware accelerator your traffic goes back to CPU based NAT and most routers max out in the 300mbps range or less.

Maybe as more and more people get gigabit connection the vendors will put faster cpu in routers so you can actually use some of the features when you have a fast internet connection.