[SOLVED] router upgrade - Netgear R6900 - suggestions

grower

Commendable
Apr 12, 2018
I have an R6900 and want a upgrade.

I have a 2 floor townhouse. My 4K TV lags when watching YouTube/movie stream and its happening more often . I also have a home office - printer/Video Conference/Photo file transfer.

I may also do some light gaming

I would like a noticeable upgrade without spending 500.00 if possible.

Current speed - 77-105 down 15 up .....can be a lot faster

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Solution
It is likely the problem is not the router but the tv. Your current router has very close to the legal maximum power so its coverage will be as good as any other router. You already have 3x3 mimo and most devices do not even support that so you really can't get a faster router.

The problem is either the signal is being absorbed by the house or the end device has a lower power transmitter and the signal does not go back well enough. It could be the antenna on the tv are being blocked, many have them on the back so it depends on the direction the router is from the tv.

You need to find another way to get data to the second floor. Best would be ethernet, next would be Moca if you have coax tv cable and then powerline networks...
It is likely the problem is not the router but the tv. Your current router has very close to the legal maximum power so its coverage will be as good as any other router. You already have 3x3 mimo and most devices do not even support that so you really can't get a faster router.

The problem is either the signal is being absorbed by the house or the end device has a lower power transmitter and the signal does not go back well enough. It could be the antenna on the tv are being blocked, many have them on the back so it depends on the direction the router is from the tv.

You need to find another way to get data to the second floor. Best would be ethernet, next would be Moca if you have coax tv cable and then powerline networks. You would want to use a cabled connection for anything you can esecially the gaming. If you need wifi you can plug a AP or a router acting as a AP into the remote end of what ever solution you decided on.

Solution
Mesh is a marketing scam to sell some "magic" solution. There is no magic to solve this.

Mesh is a slightly better form of repeater but it can not solve the problem of signal loss. They act like you can just place it in the remote room and somehow by magic you get wifi signal. If you do that it gets the same crappy signal the end device did from the main router.

The truth is like the older generation of repeaters you have to place it in a location that gets good signal from the router but can also send a signal to the end device. This may not be possible when the optimum location would be in the middle of some wall. Even when you get perfect placement you now have 2 rather than 1 wifi signal that can be interfered with and there is quite a bit of overhead so you lose a lot of speed.

You should only use mesh/repeaters as a very last option when your choice is no signal at all or a crappy repeated signal.