foxyg

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Hi guys,

I am moving to a newly build house, the house has a center control box, and ethernet ports through out the house. The builder said, I need to put a gigabit switch in the control box where the cable modem will be located. So in the control box will contain the cable modem and the gigabit switch.

I am wondering if I can use a good wireless router instead of the gigabit switch. So this way I have wireless connection and wired connection in the house. I am not sure if a wireless router will work as a switch. If it does, can someone recommand me a decent wireless router, I want to be able to receive good signal throughout the house.

Will http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122326 work?

Thanks

Kewlx25

Distinguished
The router you're looking at is a good one. Not sure if it's the "best", but it fighting for top place with only a few others.

A router with 4 ports really is a 5 port switch, but one of the ports are hooked up to a mini-computer in the router which is the NAT/Firewall.

So yes, it is a "switch".

If you need more ports, just purchase another gigabit switch, plug it into the router, and hooks more PCs up to that switch.

VanillaGorilla

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
Your going to have to purchase a router regardless. Without a router, your network won't communicate outside your house. So regardless, you need a router first. A switch is good if you have the ports running through your house already.

Also, you don't "HAVE" to purchase a gigabit switch. It would be amazing for your network, but not a necessity. If your doing large file transfers within your home network, then you will see a difference. If all you use the internet for is surf the web and play games, save your cash and get a 10/100 switch.