Router Wi Fi and Access point Wi Fi

Hello,

I'm using a Wireless G Router at home. Problem is that the concret walls are
that large that the Wifi doesn't cover all my house.
I also have a linksys access point. My question is: Can I use the Wireless G
Access Point to "amplify" my signal and if yes, how ?
Any help welcome.

Thank you

--
Christian Hougardy
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Hi Christian,

You might be able to use both the wireless router and access point
together to extend the range of your wireless network. What is the make and
model of the wireless router and the model of the Linksys AP?

Here are some steps you could try:

First you need to make sure that your Linksys AP is not configured to be
a router (if this is possible with the model of Linksys you have) and that
it is not handing out DHCP addresses or running NAT, etc.
Then you will need to make a wired connection between the Linksys AP and
the wireless router. Plug the WAN side of the Linksys AP into the LAN side
of the wireless router.

Both the wireless router and the Linksys AP should be configured with
the same SSID, authentication mode and encryption mode settings, but should
be configured for different channels.

You might then need to experiment with the locations of the router and
AP to make sure you have coverage throughout your house.

Thanks,
Chris Gual [MSFT]

"Christian Hougardy [MS XP MVP South Africa]" <christian.hougardy@gmail.com>
wrote in message news:OWrwoVUsEHA.376@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Hello,
>
> I'm using a Wireless G Router at home. Problem is that the concret walls
> are that large that the Wifi doesn't cover all my house.
> I also have a linksys access point. My question is: Can I use the Wireless
> G Access Point to "amplify" my signal and if yes, how ?
> Any help welcome.
>
> Thank you
>
> --
> Christian Hougardy
> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
> Johannesburg - South Africa
> http://msmvps.com/xpditif

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Hi
May be this can Help.

Wireless Router as an Access Point: http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html

Wireless Bridging: http://www.ezlan.net/bridging.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).

Chris Gual [MSFT] wrote:
> Hi Christian,
>
> You might be able to use both the wireless router and access point
> together to extend the range of your wireless network. What is the
> make and model of the wireless router and the model of the Linksys AP?
>
> Here are some steps you could try:
>
> First you need to make sure that your Linksys AP is not configured
> to be a router (if this is possible with the model of Linksys you
> have) and that it is not handing out DHCP addresses or running NAT,
> etc. Then you will need to make a wired connection between the
> Linksys AP and the wireless router. Plug the WAN side of the Linksys
> AP into the LAN side of the wireless router.
>
> Both the wireless router and the Linksys AP should be configured
> with the same SSID, authentication mode and encryption mode settings,
> but should be configured for different channels.
>
> You might then need to experiment with the locations of the router
> and AP to make sure you have coverage throughout your house.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris Gual [MSFT]
Hi Chris

Thank you for your help.
I would like to avoid the "wired" solution but I see that it may be the only
way.
I'll try this evening ;)
Thanks for helping, I appreciate it very much.

Greetings from sunny Johannesburg

--
Christian Hougardy
MS MVP Windows Shell/User