Router / Wireless Router Dilemma

redrover

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004

Hi All
I have a customer who uses a dedicated Netgear Router (Not Wireless) to
access the web and use a VPN link to his Employer, this router cannot
and must not be changed.

Using an ethernet cable connection to his router he can access the
internet on another machine but he wants to do this wirelessly for
other computers in his home.

What is the best way to do this, should he use a wireless router with
an ethernet connection to his existing router? or what?
Your help on this will be greatly appreciated.

(I posted this on another group as I did not know this group existed)
Patrick

Malke

RedRover wrote:

> Hi All
> I have a customer who uses a dedicated Netgear Router (Not Wireless)
> to access the web and use a VPN link to his Employer, this router
> cannot and must not be changed.
>

> Using an ethernet cable connection to his router he can access the
> internet on another machine but he wants to do this wirelessly for
> other computers in his home.
>

> What is the best way to do this, should he use a wireless router with
> an ethernet connection to his existing router? or what?
> Your help on this will be greatly appreciated.

He can just buy a wireless access point (WAP) and attach it to the
router. It would probably be sensible to buy the same brand (Netgear)
WAP so the default network address will be the same subnet. You don't
mention how many computers he has, but even 4 or 5 should have no
problem connecting wirelessly with the WAP.

He won't change any of the settings on the wired router; he'll just set
up the WAP to have a non-default SSID and use encryption.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers