Router with Bandwidth Quota Controll

Aug 30, 2018
I’m looking a Good Router for small office with bandwidth quota Control for each device or mac address. i need to set each device a monthly data-cap. if the router support Fibre (FTTx) much prefers. Any suggestions?

Solution
I don't think there is a consumer grade router that is going to do that. The is/was a third party firmware called Gargoyle that runs on a limited number of routers but I am not sure if it is actively being updated. I saw some discussion that openwrt was going to have support but I don't know if they did anything.

The primary issue is that this takes a lot of cpu power to accomplish and most routers are not powerful enough when you have a fast internet connection.

You need to look for a firewall to do this. There are a bunch that can do this and are easy to use but they are considerably more expensive than simple router. You could try to build your own with a old dual nic pc and something like pfsense but many of these free...
I don't think there is a consumer grade router that is going to do that. The is/was a third party firmware called Gargoyle that runs on a limited number of routers but I am not sure if it is actively being updated. I saw some discussion that openwrt was going to have support but I don't know if they did anything.

The primary issue is that this takes a lot of cpu power to accomplish and most routers are not powerful enough when you have a fast internet connection.

You need to look for a firewall to do this. There are a bunch that can do this and are easy to use but they are considerably more expensive than simple router. You could try to build your own with a old dual nic pc and something like pfsense but many of these free firewalls are a little difficult to configure.

Solution
This is more of an accounting function than networking, and ideally not limit by MAC but signon, but OK u don't have one of those fancy MS Domain setup.

I frequent pfsense, and sounds like u can do it there. Pfsense software is free and you can run it on an old PC with 2 NICs, but as already mentioned, configuration not for street-Joe newbie.

Recently I have come across some boxes at amazon, they don't call them router or firewall but have very home-friendly names, and seem to be marketed for the home user who needs more control over usage/users (kids?), and priced to match (not cheap). Don't remember what they call them :(