[SOLVED] Router working, Ethernet wall jack does not

Sep 29, 2019
Hello all,

I just moved back into my parent's house and I play a lot of videogames for context. When I was setting up my pc here I plugged my ethernet cord into the wall jack in my room as well as my desktop and noticed that it didn't work (says ethernet cable unplugged and when I try to find what the error is it says that my ethernet cable may be broken) so I assumed it was the cord so I went and got another one and when that didn't work I was very confused. I then wanted to test a different ethernet port so I brought my laptop to another room with an ethernet jack, that wall port didn't work with either of the 2 cords. I then took the laptop to the router and it connected instantly when plugged in with ethernet.

The wifi still works fine and the router is doing its job, however, out network is a little complicated. We have extenders throughout our house that make the wifi connection better in other areas of the house. I asked my dad if he knew how the ethernet works throughout the house. He told me we have a second router that is connected to the main router and the second router connects to all the extenders throughout the house. He also says that there is an ethernet cord that goes from the second router to the wall jack to send the internet to all the wall jacks of the house.

My main question is, is this how all of this is supposed to work? is the problem somewhere in the walls? I know that there is a network panel type switchboard thing for our internet in a closet and I have yet to look at it. If I go and look at it what should I be looking for to be the problem or is this an issue im going to have to hire someone to fix?

Solution
It all depends on how the actual wiring is done.

All the wall jacks need to come to a central place.
There, there would be a switch that they all connect to, and also connected to the router.
The router is what serves up all the internal IP addresses. The switch is what provides multiple ports, beyond the 4 that are on the back of the router.

So...
Router -> second router -> Moms PC. This works, correct?

You'll have to find where all those room ports and cables go to, and what is there.
Sep 29, 2019
Somewhere between the router and that ethernet wall jack, there is a physical disconnect..

A "second router" just complicates things. Is it an actual router, what functionality is on or off, etc, etc.

I don't know how to check what functionality is on or off but the "second router" is this: https://amplifi.com/amplifi-hd (i hope I'm allowed to post links in here like this) the second router is connected to the first via ethernet. And i just found out while looking at this that my moms computer is directly connected to the "second router" via ethernet as well. This means it has to be a physical disconnect in the wall correct?

Also, to get ethernet to wall ports in a house where all the tech works, all I would have to do is plug ethernet from router to any ethernet wallport right, or is there a specific port assigned to that?

Sep 29, 2019
IM REALIZING THAT WE DONT HAVE A SECOND ROUTER AND THE FIRST ROUTER IS NOT IN FACT A ROUTER BUT IT IS A MODEM SORRY IM NOT VERY SMART....

Heres some more information i just found. the "second router" has 4 ethernet outs and 1 in and it shows that 3 of the outs and working and the 1 in is working, like this:
View: https://imgur.com/a/8NHREzt

I tried switching which port was connected to what but every time the greyed out one was the one connected to the wall jack. I tried switching cords, tried 3 different ones, 2 that I know for sure work. and nothing changed. Alwasy the one connected to the wall jack was greyed out. Is this not how ethernet wall jacks work? Also does anyone know anything about ethernet switchboards

USAFRet

Titan
It all depends on how the actual wiring is done.

All the wall jacks need to come to a central place.
There, there would be a switch that they all connect to, and also connected to the router.
The router is what serves up all the internal IP addresses. The switch is what provides multiple ports, beyond the 4 that are on the back of the router.

So...
Router -> second router -> Moms PC. This works, correct?

You'll have to find where all those room ports and cables go to, and what is there.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS