[SOLVED] Routers and switch hubs connected to my network

Patrick_2398

Reputable
Apr 24, 2017
Hello guys, I'm looking for a Windows Application that will be able to scan and display how many routers and switch hubs are there in my network, because I'm trying to limit the routers and switch hubs connected to my network. Do you know any software that I can use? I've tried advanced ip scanner and angry ip scanner but none of them worked.

Solution
Switches you can not see because they are transparent both at a mac and IP level. Routers to some extent you can see but it depends how they function. I assume you are talking consumer grade routers and not commercial equipment. A consumer router is designed to hide the equipment behind it. So you could have a router with many more routers and pc behind it and it will only appears as a single ip and mac address.

Now if you want to buy all commercial equipment these devices have special feature to do this for example CDP neighbor in cisco. They also have abilities to block attaching things other than a simple PC to the ports so they can always tell how all equipment is interconnected.

Home units tend to not have this...
Switches you can not see because they are transparent both at a mac and IP level. Routers to some extent you can see but it depends how they function. I assume you are talking consumer grade routers and not commercial equipment. A consumer router is designed to hide the equipment behind it. So you could have a router with many more routers and pc behind it and it will only appears as a single ip and mac address.

Now if you want to buy all commercial equipment these devices have special feature to do this for example CDP neighbor in cisco. They also have abilities to block attaching things other than a simple PC to the ports so they can always tell how all equipment is interconnected.

Home units tend to not have this because it is easier to just walk around and look at what is connected where, its not like you have 100s of switches and routers in a house.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution

kanewolf

Titan
Hello guys, I'm looking for a Windows Application that will be able to scan and display how many routers and switch hubs are there in my network, because I'm trying to limit the routers and switch hubs connected to my network. Do you know any software that I can use? I've tried advanced ip scanner and angry ip scanner but none of them worked.
Is this a home network or a business network? Do you use radius authentication to allow devices? Do you have managed core switches that you can disable unused ports?

TRENDING THREADS