Router's on the first floor. My room is on the second

piepiepies

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2014
I recently moved into a room where i would only get 3 bars for wifi strength at most. The wifi connection is not stable at all, constantly disconnecting or just stops working even when there are still bars showing for wifi strength. HELP PLEASE!!

Router : netgear wndr3400 n600
Laptop: SAMSUNG ATIV Book 2
Wireless adaptor : Atheros ar956x

piepiepies

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2014

what do you mean by the make? sorries. im not very good with things like these. and can i have an example of a range extender?

TheSocialIrony

Reputable
Jul 17, 2014

You can get a range extender like the one mentioned, or you can configure an old router to do the same (since the signal types are all backwards compatible). These will take your main router's signal in and amplify it at their location.

Another option is to get a powerline adapter. These will use your home's electrical wiring to transmit data into and out of an outlet. It won't bleed into your neighbor's electricity either in the same way you can't accidentally AC your house with their electricity.

A cheap and simple option if you have an external antenna on your router is to make a windsurfer out of tin foil to shape the signal in the direction you want. (google windsurfer. You glue tin foil to a paper template you print out then do a little bit of folding and bam! Better connection with up to 100% increases.

If you want to get techy, you can upgrade the firmware on your router to DD-WRT, and change the power output so your router puts out a stronger signal. Lifehacker has a good article on this that I just read here

piepiepies

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2014

the router is on the opposite side of the house and one floor below. theres going to a lot of complications if i try to use the ethernet cable .