[SOLVED] Routers, switches, & DHCP

Jul 10, 2020
I have used all of the 4 ports on my AT&T Uverse router. I added a TP-Link Mesh network. The base unIt had 2 Ethernet ports so I assumed I could move one of the devices to that and it would work. But my HP all-in-one printer had a fit apparently account DHCP IP addresses. So I bought a TP-Link 5 port gigabit switch. My WD NAS is not reading. My Mac mini is happy as a clam on the switch. How can you tell what can go through a switch and what insists on being on the router? Or am asking the wrong question?

Solution
Set dhcp reservations in the att router for the printer and nas. Then test access to them by using their IP address. If they work, connect everything back up and see if it works.

kanewolf

Titan
I have used all of the 4 ports on my AT&T Uverse router. I added a TP-Link Mesh network. The base unIt had 2 Ethernet ports so I assumed I could move one of the devices to that and it would work. But my HP all-in-one printer had a fit apparently account DHCP IP addresses. So I bought a TP-Link 5 port gigabit switch. My WD NAS is not reading. My Mac mini is happy as a clam on the switch. How can you tell what can go through a switch and what insists on being on the router? Or am asking the wrong question?
The base station for your TP link mesh is probably a DHCP server ALSO. If so, you need to disable that DHCP server and let the ATT device be your ONLY DHCP server. You only want one DHCP server. It is also possible that the base for yout TPLink is acting like a router.
Unmanaged switches are transparent to DHCP (and all IP addresses).

Jul 10, 2020
The printer didn't connect because the computer was looking for the old IP but because it had been disconnected and re-connected the IP was changed. We had to re-load it on the 2 computers with its new address. But it didn't work when we did this through the switch. That's why I liked your idea that the Deco was also doing DHCP. Now the NAS is not working when attached to the switch.

Is that clearer?