Question Routine release date?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The game is coming in 2023, will be published by Raw Fury, and will feature music by legendary composer Mick Gordon, whose work can be heard in iconic franchises such as Doom and Wolfenstein.

The release date most likely will be January 2023, according to my own sources in the gaming industry. It won't be delayed for 2024.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
The game is coming in 2023, will be published by Raw Fury, and will feature music by legendary composer Mick Gordon, whose work can be heard in iconic franchises such as Doom and Wolfenstein.

The release date most likely will be January 2023, according to my own sources in the gaming industry. It won't be delayed for 2024.
Yeah this game looks like it could be good, but I am also skeptical about the super long time it's taking to get it to market, and the problems it might bring.

Mick Gordon is indeed a master of hard rock ambient music for such games. I went back to playing Doom 2016 some more last night, another game he worked on, after having started a Nightmare run a little while ago. This is one of few titles I leave the music on. It's a game that runs fine even on a HDD, which is nice because I'm torn right now between uninstalling Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection from my limited space 500GB NVMe drive, or trying it with the 3rd patch that was just released (2nd was worse than the 1st).

What's so cool about Doom 2016 is the intricacy of the level design, and all the nooks and crannies they used to hide secret areas, coupled with a pretty decent challenge system, that keeps you engaged in finding ways to do special kills. Even better is that completing those challenges yields points that allow you to upgrade your weapons faster. This game still holds it's own well graphically too. It was one of the better looking games 6 years ago, and it still looks good today.

Furthermore, you don't feel overpowered on Nightmare, whereas I felt I had to play Halo Infinite with no upgrades on Nightmare just to get enough challenge. Both games are fun, but I would say Doom 2016 is a bit more immersive for those wanting to feel like the game put them through hell, with a very rewarding feeling for beating it on it's hardest mode. It's not that Halo Infinite's hardest mode isn't just as challenging, it's that it requires better player memory and precision, as so much as one death makes you have to start the game all over again, which is not to my liking at age 64.

Doom Eternal was pretty good too, but for my age, it was far more chaotic to play, as you have to keep moving constantly. I also don't like that they ended the new revamped Doom games with what seemed like a rushed 2 part DLC, instead of taking a few years to develop another full length installment. What's worse is The Ancient Gods DLCs thrust you right into even more fast paced combat than Eternal had, with even tougher battle scenarios as far as the number of tough enemies present in battles. There's also no progression system whatsoever, as you start with all weapons and skills maxed.

So, in the end, I see Halo Infinite as a more desirable evolution of Halo, than the way the new Doom series was evolved. It's also unclear what lies ahead for Doom, whereas the developers of Halo say they're using Infinite as a platform for at least 10 years.

Last edited:
What's so cool about Doom 2016 is the intricacy of the level design, and all the nooks and crannies they used to hide secret areas, coupled with a pretty decent challenge system, that keeps you engaged in finding ways to do special kills. Even better is that completing those challenges yields points that allow you to upgrade your weapons faster. This game still holds it's own well graphically too. It was one of the better looking games 6 years ago, and it still looks good today.

Both games are fun, but I would say Doom 2016 is a bit more immersive for those wanting to feel like the game put them through hell, with a very rewarding feeling for beating it on it's hardest mode. It's not that Halo Infinite's hardest mode isn't just as challenging, it's that it requires better player memory and precision,

Ya, even I prefer DOOM 2016 over Eternal. In Eternal, they introduced more parkour mechanics for the player, and we have to constantly jump, dash to reach high places. It was in excess. The game was also a bit more fast-paced. Doom 2016 was a much better title.

Honestly speaking, I got a bit frustrated by these mechanics on Eternal, but overall the good was pretty good. But AMMO is also scare in Eternal compared to 2016. I have not played the Ancient Gods DLC though. I don't feel like buying them. Are they worth the purchase ?

Last edited:
Ya, even I prefer DOOM 2016 over Eternal. In Eternal, they introduced more parkour mechanics for the player, and we have to constantly jump, dash to reach high places. It was in excess. The game was also a bit more fast-paced. Doom 2016 was a much better title.

Honestly speaking, I got a bit frustrated by these mechanics on Eternal, but overall the good was pretty good. But AMMO is also scare in Eternal compared to 2016. I have not played the Ancient Gods DLC though. I don't feel like buying them. Are they worth the purchase ?
It's not that I prefer Doom 2016 over Eternal, it's just that when I'm tired, like I have been lately due to a lot of nights with 6 hours or less sleep, it's more comfortable to pick up and play, as it's not as frenetic a pace as Eternal. In fact I had quite the opposite feeling about the platforming in Eternal as you do. At first there were sections I had to take numerous tries at just to get through. However once I got to know the game better and improved my jump, dash, and lache techniques, most of which come down to getting in a rhythm with the timing of them, I got to where I could not only ace them, but shortcut a lot of them.

As far as aerial combat and super fast switching of multiple weapons goes, that can be very difficult too, but I found it isn't really as necessary as some would lead you to believe. This is the single biggest thing, other than demonstrating proper platforming techniques, that motivated me to do a complete walkthrough of the game on Nightmare. It was aimed specifically at showing how you can beat the game without a lot of fancy aerial combat and super fast switching of multiple weapons. As far as platforming goes, besides properly timing jumps and dashes, sometimes all it takes is mouse looking the right direction to accomplish what you want to do. like looking straight up to mantle a ledge you're hanging from.

And ammo is only scarce in Eternal if the player forgets to chainsaw now and then, which provides ammo and a bit of health too if I recall. In fact regularly using flame belch, both grenade types, glory kills, and chain sawing, are all essential parts of the combat loop. Most that claim the game is too hard don't use these tactics often enough, and I didn't myself the first play through or two. Eternal is a game that can take a few play throughs to master, and that is a big part of why I liked it so much. Being 64 though, I can't recover from nights with little sleep as well as I used to, so I like to have games like 2016 for those times.

I don't think The Ancient Gods DLCs would be to your liking. If you didn't like Eternal, you will dislike The Ancient Gods even more, for the same reasons. It throws a TON of tough enemies at you, with Imps running around tossing fire balls at you at the same time. I'll put it this way, in Eternal, even in the toughest battles, I could usually clear a small area at a time, then move to other areas, even on Nightmare. In The Ancient Gods, you pretty much have to keep moving constantly just to survive on Hurt Me Plenty, which is Normal or Medium difficulty.

Now granted, like I said, you start The Ancient Gods with all weapons and skills unlocked, but you soon see why when you start playing it. I only played most of the way through the first mission, and just once, so of course I could improve with more play throughs as I did with the base game. I may even wait until I build a new PC before I play it again.

I don't think The Ancient Gods DLCs would be to your liking. If you didn't like Eternal, you will dislike The Ancient Gods even more, for the same reasons. It throws a TON of tough enemies at you, with Imps running around tossing fire balls at you at the same time. I'll put it this way, in Eternal, even in the toughest battles, I could usually clear a small area at a time, then move to other areas, even on Nightmare. In The Ancient Gods, you pretty much have to keep moving constantly just to survive on Hurt Me Plenty, which is Normal or Medium difficulty.

Now granted, like I said, you start The Ancient Gods with all weapons and skills unlocked, but you soon see why when you start playing it. I only played most of the way through the first mission, and just once, so of course I could improve with more play throughs as I did with the base game. I may even wait until I build a new PC before I play it again.

I just wonder why they made these DLCs as a standalone expansion, which can be bought separately from Eternal ? I hate when a game throws tons of enemies to deal with. And yeah, I know we need to use the chainsaw in Eternal for getting more ammo, but the Devs made the ammo too scarce.

It's nice chainsawing enemies though, but in a first-person shooter I mostly prefer to use guns/firearms more than using any Melee weapon, and/or a chainsaw. Though, I like GLORY Kills in this game, and also on Doom 2016.

On a side note, even in SERIOUS SAM series/franchise, the game used to throw tons and tons of enemies, and the game is also fast-paced, but at least there is enough Ammo for the weapons to use. And the game is also not THAT tough to beat as well, but can still become hard to beat sometimes, on some of the levels.

It's no wonder why Serious Sam is called a mindless "run and gun" shooter franchise though, lol. Also, I don't think we should compare Serious Sam with the DOOM franchise.

Last edited:
I just wonder why they made these DLCs as a standalone expansion, which can be bought separately from Eternal ? I hate when a game throws tons of enemies to deal with. And yeah, I know we need to use the chainsaw in Eternal for getting more ammo, but the Devs made the ammo too scarce.
I don't really mind the design of Eternal. At least it has better pacing than The Ancient Gods, even if some of the platforming at first seems really hard. It's not just chain sawing though that helps manage ammo, it's hitting weak spots of enemies (which makes them MUCH easier to finish off) and using weapon, grenade, and belch combos. The combat loop is intentionally designed this way, as Doom has always been a hardcore shooter, not just your average shooter. The only real exception to that was Doom 3, which was slower paced and focused more on horror.

My main gripe with the DLCs is not just the design of the totally chaotic combat, but that they are far shorter than the first two base games, with smaller environments. There's some cool platforming in it, some of which can be tough to figure out at first, but it just feels like a rushed to market cash grab vs Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal. This new style of series I felt really deserved a good long final installment to the trilogy. I would have been perfectly OK with waiting through 3 or 4 years of production time to get it too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.