routing and remote access service

arges86

Distinguished
Server runs Windows Server 2003.
I turned on Routing and Remote Access Services to enable Windows' built in VPN feature.
But as soon as I turned this service on, the server's publicly shared folders disappear from the network. The backup software also couldn't see the server anymore either. Even the FTP server and HTML webpage (hosted on the server) stopped working.
As soon as I disabled it, all the things re-appeared again.

Does anyone know why this occurred, and how to prevent those side effects?

Solution
You need first option only (Remote access). You already have another router available which handles NAT (that is, Internet access for other devices on the internal network).
And in order for it to work, you should port-forward TCP port 1723 and GRE protocol. Here are the details.
You should retire your 2003 server - it is well beyond Microsoft support. Exposing them to the world (thru VPN) just makes the things worse.

I had RRAS enabled on 2003 server without problems, so you must have done something incorrectly. That server has long been upgraded, so I cannot tell you exact settings, but you should only enable it as RRAS server, not as a router.

arges86

Distinguished

Do you remember (on the picture below) of you chose 'Remote access (dial-up or VPN)' or Virtual Private Network (VPN) access and NAT
figc_rras_configuration.jpg

Both of you make a good point about it being old and not as secure (I can't afford anything new) but I may end up going with freeSSHd and just using PuTTY to connect.
This is more of a learning experience than anything else. I just want to know how to use RRAS

You need first option only (Remote access). You already have another router available which handles NAT (that is, Internet access for other devices on the internal network).
And in order for it to work, you should port-forward TCP port 1723 and GRE protocol. Here are the details.

Solution