Routing Paths and Subnets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raytheon1

Honorable
Oct 22, 2016
i am utterly baffled. i don't want the answers, i just want someone to explain to me how am i supposed to validate which IP in the first picture corresponds to the 2nd picture. i will use a method, get it right, then use the exact same method on the next source/destination and get it wrong. Can anyone explain a method for how to do this?!? it seems like whether i'm right, or wrong is completely random and arbitrary. Can anyone explain it like I'm five? lol

http://

http://

EDIT:

My issue is how do i compare the last 2 octets to figure out what ranged in the "clouds" they fall in? i understand the first 2 octets, but the 2nd 2 baffle me as they're always different. how do i know what range (network) they fall under? like i understand 192.168.x.x would fall under 192.168.x.x "cloud" but how do i compare the 2nd pair of octets to figure it out from there? i hope that makes sense.

If I understand the assignment correctly, this is how I would solve each one.
1. Is the source IP address part of one of the clouds.
2. Is the destination IP address part of one of the clouds.
3. If the answer to one or two is no, then click "Source or destination not present"
4. Else click the clouds needed to get from the source to the destination starting with the cloud the source is in taking the shortest path to the cloud that the destination is in.

Raytheon1

Honorable
Oct 22, 2016

hey! thanks for the reply! i think i needed to be more specific, my apologies. My issue is how do i compare the last 2 octets to figure out what ranged in the "clouds" they fall in? i understand the first 2 octets, but the 2nd 2 baffle me as they're always different. how do i know what range (network) they fall under? like i understand 192.168.x.x would fall under 192.168.x.x "cloud" but how do i compare the 2nd pair of octets to figure it out from there? i hope that makes sense.

That is the purpose of the exercise I suspect. Your best bet if you have not done this a lot is take each cloud and convert the subnet mask to the first and last ip in the range..ignore the concept of "usable". So the first will always be the ip in the diagram the last will be that plus the number of ip.

To a point you are lucky the hard ones to do are things like /22 especially if they would give you a ip in the middle of the block.

The /26 they have a couple chooses intentional are designed to trick you unless you are very careful.

I would also assume even though it does not say it you would want to take the fewest number of hops between the clouds.

Status
Not open for further replies.