Royal BNA or PHDGD Quebec 4.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxmlgdewxx420

Reputable
Aug 14, 2017
Not sure if I'm posting this in the correct category, but here I go anyways:

I have an old laptop (which is unfortunately my only computer) with a Mobile Intel 4500MHD iGPU. I've been looking for ways to improve performance, and I think I have pretty much done every trick in the book, but I'm still looking for more ways to improve performance. Anyways, I recently found out about Royal BNA drivers. Currently I'm using PHDGD Quebec 4.0 drivers, but Royal BNA does seem interesting. Royal BNA seems to be from 2013/2014 and PHDGD is from 2016 (both of which is ofc newer than Intel's official ones). I'm wondering if I should stick with PHDGD, or is Royal BNA better? I have a 32-bit OS, so any modern game is 100% out of the question.

Solution
Both of drivers give similar performance since all they do are simple registry tweaks to Intel's last released driver 2869 to make the dedicated graphics ram 128 MB instead of 64 plus change the name of the driver so all games that block such GPU (some do yes) would not recognize it and run .

There are few things you should be aware of though :
1 - 32 bit windows only utilize 3 GBs of ram which is more bottle neck than having such a GPU where I suggest you do both a ram upgrade and windows (to 64 bit) to get much better performance than what you have already , the SODIMM Rams DDR3 PC3 10200/10600 are at their lowest prices right now , having 2 x 4 GBs sticks to run at dual bus speed might improve things dramatically for you .
2 - With...

nIGHTmAYOR

Prominent
Jun 27, 2017
Both of drivers give similar performance since all they do are simple registry tweaks to Intel's last released driver 2869 to make the dedicated graphics ram 128 MB instead of 64 plus change the name of the driver so all games that block such GPU (some do yes) would not recognize it and run .

There are few things you should be aware of though :
1 - 32 bit windows only utilize 3 GBs of ram which is more bottle neck than having such a GPU where I suggest you do both a ram upgrade and windows (to 64 bit) to get much better performance than what you have already , the SODIMM Rams DDR3 PC3 10200/10600 are at their lowest prices right now , having 2 x 4 GBs sticks to run at dual bus speed might improve things dramatically for you .
2 - With any of the upper suggested drivers installed you can work a huge selection of the window 10 store games at surprisingly high frame rates including Asphalt & Modern Combat 5 as most store games are optimized for tablet performance which is not any better than the GMA GPU , but then you need to upgrade to windows 8/10 sadly to benefit from this .
3 - The Intel control panel surprisingly do not work on windows 8/10 which isn't so bad since windows display controls are almost able to do all of its tweaks by default however what only is to be missed is to enable High Performance profile on driver which cant be done in absence of Intel Control panel , however you can edit the driver inf of PHDGD Quebec 4.0 to set it to high performance profile before installing it by changing AC/DC values to 2 through out the power section so that the default mode of the driver becomes high performance onward .

-Edit 1- *
I just found out that there is a moded driver for Intel GMA that actually is working and produce a gain twice as that of Royal BNA and PHDGD (Which are Intel's 2869 driver camouflaged) , it is called IncrediblE 4500X v11 Link Here but you still need to update the inf trick changing AC/DC values to 2 in driver power section on windows 8/10 to enable high performance profile .

-Edit 2- **
I have downloaded the IncrediblE driver and inspected its inf , inf file is present as a hidden file in : X64 IncrediblE 4500x [Extreme]\Graphics\kit49684.inf
You can edit it by notepad searching and changing these values :

Default = %GUID_MAX_POWER_SAVINGS%, %AC%, 0
Default = %GUID_MAX_POWER_SAVINGS%, %DC%, 0
Default = %GUID_TYPICAL_POWER_SAVINGS%, %AC%, 1
Default = %GUID_TYPICAL_POWER_SAVINGS%, %DC%, 1
Default = %GUID_MIN_POWER_SAVINGS%, %AC%, 2
Default = %GUID_MIN_POWER_SAVINGS%, %DC%, 2
To these :
Default = %GUID_MAX_POWER_SAVINGS%, %AC%, 2
Default = %GUID_MAX_POWER_SAVINGS%, %DC%, 0
Default = %GUID_TYPICAL_POWER_SAVINGS%, %AC%, 2
Default = %GUID_TYPICAL_POWER_SAVINGS%, %DC%, 2
Default = %GUID_MIN_POWER_SAVINGS%, %AC%, 2
Default = %GUID_MIN_POWER_SAVINGS%, %DC%, 2
To set High Performance Profile to be default when installed on windows 8/10 in absence of Intel Graphics Control Panel .

Hope this helps you .

* Starting Windows 10 build 1809 Microsoft adopted new means to improve rendering speed leading IncredibleE driver to glitch heavily , and thus the developer decided to discard the driver . it is however still working good on earlier windows versions , however the next inline driver with less problems for that build is the PHDGD Quebec 4.0 .

** Starting Windows 10 build 1809 Intel gfx control panel works fine and you can use it to set high performance profile so no need to any manual tweaks .

Last edited:
Solution

xxmlgdewxx420

Reputable
Aug 14, 2017

Sorry for somewhat late reply, but thanks for the info. Btw, is it possible to upgrade to 64-bit Windows and keep your original files?

No, you have to place your files elsewhere somewhere safe then upgrade by way of a reinstall.

Status
Not open for further replies.