[SOLVED] RP-SMA to wifi amplifier or range extender

Dec 18, 2021
Hello. I have a Night Owl WNIP2 wifi dvr and 4 wifi cameras around my property with a couple just almost out of range. In my head I imagine hooking cables up to the 2 rp-sma connectors on the drv then into some kind of amplifier and suddenly I get super-great connections to the cameras. I've shopped but haven't seen anything like what's in my head, lol. Anybody have suggestions with a low-cost solution and legal transmit power? Thank you!

Solution
A antenna though is simple it is basically a piece of wire in a special shape. The math behind antenna design is all the same since well before wifi existed. Basic engineering books in college teaches this stuff so I doubt there is a lot of difference.
Key would be if it has cables they need to be as short as possible. Microwave rated coax is expensive so you many times see a great antenna connected to 50 meters of extremely cheap coax and you lose more signal in the coax than the antenna adds.

Reviews on amazon are almost worthless. You have huge numbers of people who need to watch a youtube video to use their toaster. They post review like "works good for me" or " is garbage" when they have no clue what they are doing...
Dec 18, 2021
I suppose I could put a directional on each of the cameras. aiming back to the dvr. And, yes, I forget that higher transmit power doesn't translate to better reception. Thank you for your suggestion. I'll order some antennas from amazon and post the results. Hopefully won't get a couple of lemons. It's always hit or miss with some of these items. The brand I'm getting is Highfine, so we'll see.

The problem with the theory of using any form of amplifier is almost all non portable device transmit at the legal maximum already. A amplifier that is legal can not transmit at any higher power and likely would have issue take a full power signal in anyway. You can of course buy illegal stuff directly from china but without the FCC test data you never really know if it is real or not. Now they make high power micro wave amplifier for radio channels used by cell phone companies that could be adjusted to cover the wifi bands. No reputability dealer will sell you them unless you have a license to operate equipment like that. Not that many individuals would pay the kind of money they want for them anyway.

Best option is to concentrate the power you have with directional antenna on both ends. Although it should improve the signal levels what it helps most with is it reduces the reception of unwanted noise/signals that degrade the signals you want.

Reactions: LypheNKrysiz
Dec 18, 2021
Lol, careful about throwing out that 'illegal stuff directly from china'. That's just the sort of thing that piques my curiosity and not in a good way. As I mentioned, amazon reviews need reviews of their own. The directional antennas I'm looking at have comments about them being no better than the stock antennas by some and 1000 % improvement by others. I'm antsy about that Highfine (chinese, I'm sure) brand and am having trouble clicking the Buy button.

A antenna though is simple it is basically a piece of wire in a special shape. The math behind antenna design is all the same since well before wifi existed. Basic engineering books in college teaches this stuff so I doubt there is a lot of difference.
Key would be if it has cables they need to be as short as possible. Microwave rated coax is expensive so you many times see a great antenna connected to 50 meters of extremely cheap coax and you lose more signal in the coax than the antenna adds.

Reviews on amazon are almost worthless. You have huge numbers of people who need to watch a youtube video to use their toaster. They post review like "works good for me" or " is garbage" when they have no clue what they are doing.
With wifi most reviews of equipment are really reviews of the persons house. The environment you put them in make far more difference than small difference in the equipment. I remember some guy posted photo that showed point to point outdoor bridge worked bad and he showed massive trees in between.

It has been a long time since I purchased just antenna, things like outdoor AP have replace them for some application. I generally bought from ubiquiti, but I has buying huge 24db gain dish things.

Solution
Dec 18, 2021
Well, look for Yagi style, should be 2-4 pounds of weight, 15-20 degrees horizontal sector, 5-10 vertical, and 20+ dbi gain... anything more than double those numbers either looks like a starship and weights 15 pounds or does not exist.

I already found a 4-pack of small directionals to put on each camera with poor reception. I'll post results when I get them in and installed. If there's not enough improvement then I'll certainly look for your suggestion while avoiding the massive SETI device you mentioned lol

Dec 18, 2021

Reviews on amazon are almost worthless. You have huge numbers of people who need to watch a youtube video to use their toaster. They post review like "works good for me" or " is garbage" when they have no clue what they are doing.
With wifi most reviews of equipment are really reviews of the persons house. The environment you put them in make far more difference than small difference in the equipment. I remember some guy posted photo that showed point to point outdoor bridge worked bad and he showed massive trees in between.

It has been a long time since I purchased just antenna, things like outdoor AP have replace them for some application. I generally bought from ubiquiti, but I has buying huge 24db gain dish things.

I considered making one of my own, even looking up how-to's and specs and youtube vids. I'm afraid I'm not a precise person, though. I generalize and perform guesswork in my wood shop, which works just fine, but would be a recipe for failure here short of cutting a 50 meter coax cable. Those small, matched lengths are beyond me. I admire folks who can do that kind of work, though, tremendously.

TRENDING THREADS