RPC access rights

MrJohnson

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
What do I have to do to modify the permissions to allow me, the admin of my personal pc, to modify properties for RPC under services.msc? I have tried using the command line with "sc rpcss obj= LocalSystem" (without quotes) but had the following error returned: [SC] OpenService FAILED 5: Access is denied. I also can not modify RPC via services.msc as everything is grayed out which I am taking to obviously mean I am denied permission to that service. I am attempting to change this value to address another issue and am confident this will work. Thank you in advance for any tips and/or advice.

MrJohnson

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009

Yes I did. I ended up simply reinstalling the OS with a clean format of the HD. From what I can see, it appears that something happened during a patch install that ended up corrupting Windows Installer as well as a few other issues. I eliminated causes such as: malicious software, applications causing conflicts w/the update, and double checked everything I did to make sure I did not corrupt something myself within the Registry. I went over error report logs and tried everything I could, in the end I simply had to reinstall. At least this time I made a system recovery partition and will be more diligent with backup images. Thank you for the input.