rPGA988b compatibility check

Feb 17, 2018
Hey everyone. I am about to change my Sony VPCEB15FM Notebook's I3-330M (rPGA988a) to i7 3520m (rPGA988B) , my motherboard is Sony A1771573A (socket 989). Will it take it?/boot?

Solution
I'm pretty sure it won't work, a motherboard for a first generation Core CPU isn't going to work with a 3rd Generation Core CPU. They may physically have the same number of pins, but the sockets may be laid out differently and even if it does physically fit, it won't boot. At best you might get a first gen mobile i7 working in your laptop, if your laptop has BIOS support for it and if your laptop's cooling can deal with the higher heat output.
I'm pretty sure it won't work, a motherboard for a first generation Core CPU isn't going to work with a 3rd Generation Core CPU. They may physically have the same number of pins, but the sockets may be laid out differently and even if it does physically fit, it won't boot. At best you might get a first gen mobile i7 working in your laptop, if your laptop has BIOS support for it and if your laptop's cooling can deal with the higher heat output.

Solution