[SOLVED] RPM kind of problem

nightelfrlz

Commendable
Jan 4, 2019
So I installed a be quiet! PWM case fan recently but I don't know how much RPM do I need to get out of it. So I had a problem with my mobo that I fixed and I thought it was something from the fan and from PUMP_FAN1 I plugged it to SYS_FAN3 which is next to it. I changed the DC mode to PWM in the bios. Before when it was plugged in the PUMP_FAN1 the RPM were 1500 and now when I play Warzone it stays at 978 RPM and changes around that. Is this normal?

Solution
What you did is right and yes, it makes sense. The PUMP_FAN1 header very often is set by default to work as a PUMP power source, and almost all pumps are designed to work at full speed all the time. So by default that header likely was set to do that - full speed always. Moving a case ventilation fan to a SYS_FAN header was the right thing to do.

On that header, when using a 4-pin fan the optimal configuration is to have the header use the newer PWM Mode, and not the old DC Mode. So again, that was right. As a result your fan now is running slower because that is all the cooling needed right now, according to the temperature sensor on your mobo. When your workload (and heat generation) increase, the fan will speed up automatically.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
What you did is right and yes, it makes sense. The PUMP_FAN1 header very often is set by default to work as a PUMP power source, and almost all pumps are designed to work at full speed all the time. So by default that header likely was set to do that - full speed always. Moving a case ventilation fan to a SYS_FAN header was the right thing to do.

On that header, when using a 4-pin fan the optimal configuration is to have the header use the newer PWM Mode, and not the old DC Mode. So again, that was right. As a result your fan now is running slower because that is all the cooling needed right now, according to the temperature sensor on your mobo. When your workload (and heat generation) increase, the fan will speed up automatically.

Last edited:
Solution

nightelfrlz

Commendable
Jan 4, 2019

On that header, when using a 4-pin fan the optimal configuration is to have the header use the newer PWM Mode, and not the old DC Mode. so again, that was right. As a resut your fan now is sunning slower becaqsue that is all the cooling neeeded right now, according to the temperature sensor on your mobo. When your workload (and heat generation) increase, the fan will speed up automatically.
Thank you for the answer!