[SOLVED] RS-232/ DB9 Serial Card

hildebranddj

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
I've got a few items that still require a serial interface for programming. (ie police scanners and a handheld Ham Radio). I've used a Belkin USB to RS232 cable but it doesn't like to play nice all the time if I plug it into a USB 3.0 slot. Seems to work okay in a USB 2.0, but they are all on the back. So I figured I'd try one of these..

PCI Serial Card- Digikey

Will I have any issues running this on Windows 10 Pro? I've still got an open x16, x8 and x4 slot on the Mobo. I'd just rather have the serial cable on the ready then fight with the converter cable of this will work.

Thanks
-DH

Solution
Thanks Kane, dang my only PCIe is occupied by my Wireless Network card..

Mobo is a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Ver 4, I do have a socket on the MoBo for Serial Interface. Mybe ill just stick with the USB to DB9 interface.. and I still have an x16, x8 and x4 slot available as well..
Yes, if you have a serial port on the motherboard, then you should be able to buy a ribbon cable with a pin connector on one end and DB9 on the other

hildebranddj

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010

Mobo is a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Ver 4, I do have a socket on the MoBo for Serial Interface. Mybe ill just stick with the USB to DB9 interface.. and I still have an x16, x8 and x4 slot available as well..

kanewolf

Titan

Yes, if you have a serial port on the motherboard, then you should be able to buy a ribbon cable with a pin connector on one end and DB9 on the other

Solution