RS482 Infinity: what to do about integrated GPU?

stan412

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Hi,

I have the RS482-Infinity motherboard, the one with the integrated Xpress 200 graphics.
Now, I'm sort of a noob with the question I'm about to ask:
I've already Installed the operating system, but I've also installed ATI's Catalyst software. But now, I would like a dedicated GPU, because one of the reasons is because it works the RAM a lot.
So, the main question is 1) would I have to first uninstall the Catalyst software to install a graphic card? and 2) could I put in an Nvidia GPU despite the chipset being ATI's (and would it matter if I left the Catalyst software untouched)?

Vice-versa, if I bought a mobo with a Nvidia chipset/integrated GPU, would it be possible to install an ATI GPU?

Thanks![/u]

stan412

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
As for the graphic card, I would like a card that is a directX 10, shader model 4.0, but it doesn't have to be for hardcore gaming; even gddr2 gpu memory should be ok(?)
More importantly, what are some passively-cooled cards that ALSO doesn't get too hot? Silent and cool is very important to me. I would greatly welcome all your suggestions.

Thanks again!

misterd33

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2007
HI Stan412,

To answer you first question, an ATI graphics card will work on a Nvidia Chipset and vice-versa, however some would argue that having a chipset and GPU from the same vendor will give you better results.

In terms of the ATI onboard driver you have, and upgrading to another ATI GPU, refer to the ATI website, they may infact use the same driver which would mean you would not need to uninstall and then reinstall.

However if this is not the case and the ATI intergrated GPU uses a defferent driver then please uninstall and reinstall for the new Vcard you purchase. Of course if you buy a videocard from a different vendor then the driver will change as well, so please uninstall and reinstall with the new one accordingly.

I hope this answers your questions.

Keep an eye out for a Asus passively cooled DX10 card if your after something passively cooled Asus usually does that type of card and they are a well respected brand.

akahuddy

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006
I've personally used this motherboard and can tell you for a fact that if you have the Catalyst drivers installed, you won't have to change a thing driver-wise. When you install the new card though, you will need to change the initial display tab in the BIOS from Onboard to PCIE. That should have you set.