[SOLVED] RT-AC1300UHP

sCaDz

Reputable
Nov 3, 2015
Hi guys,

Does anyone have this current router?
I'm trying to setup the QOS of the router but i only have the Traditional and Bandwidth Limiter options.
Checking on the web it says https://www.asus.com/ph/support/FAQ/114483/ it has the Adaptive QoS.

Thing is when i setup the Traditional QoS even though i've set my machine as "Highest" i'm still getting the "Low" option setting.

Solution
Almost all QoS is pretty worthless. You really can only control UPLOAD ie outbound traffic. Most people are over using their download bandwidth.

First you should not need QoS on large internet connections. Something is very wrong if you are constantly over using say a 350mbps internet connection. In addition just using the QoS function on routers connected to these fast connections will cap out much lower say at about 200mbps because it can no longer use the hardware accelerator that bypasses the cpu.

The concept of high/med/low is really stupid they do not tell what that means. Does that mean it sends all high traffic exclusively if the connection is full or does it just mean it discards less of the high traffic than the low...
Almost all QoS is pretty worthless. You really can only control UPLOAD ie outbound traffic. Most people are over using their download bandwidth.

First you should not need QoS on large internet connections. Something is very wrong if you are constantly over using say a 350mbps internet connection. In addition just using the QoS function on routers connected to these fast connections will cap out much lower say at about 200mbps because it can no longer use the hardware accelerator that bypasses the cpu.

The concept of high/med/low is really stupid they do not tell what that means. Does that mean it sends all high traffic exclusively if the connection is full or does it just mean it discards less of the high traffic than the low traffic.

If you are going to do this you need to configure actual bandwidth limits. And again it only really works well on upload. The download not really QoS. What is happening you are actually receiving data for some end machine but then discarding it. The hope is the error recovery method in the end device will cause the device to request less. It mostly works but it depends on the application. You still have to allow for some extra traffic you are going to discard so it can be very tricky to get configured on a very small internet connection.

Reactions: sCaDz
Solution