RT-AC87R router causing connection problem to offsite email server

Oct 26, 2018
RT-AC87R with latest firmware connected to CM1000 cable modem connected to Comcast. Everything works fine except if I try and connect to work email server hosted at MacHighway. It won't connect. Pinged server timeout, Traceroute gets to about 14 hops and loses it.

Why is it the router? If I connect my MacBook Air directly to the CM1000 no problem. I have tried setting DNS for lan (in router) explicitly (using 8.8.8.8) same with wan. Also on the laptop. Have tried connecting Wi-Fi and Ethernet and same problem.

If I connect to my phone's hotspot, no problem.

If I VPN through the same router to my work (run all traffic through VPN) it works.

So I am thinking it is some sort of DNS issue? But it seems like I am trying all the things to fix that (maybe too many)

thanks

p.s. FYI I am pinging the IP number of the server and it still fails.

Oct 26, 2018

Doh! Of course. I think I was distracted by some other research I did. So not DNS, cross that off the list.

Oct 26, 2018
Okay more testing... and I have come across something that must be telling me something but I'm not sure:

Ping from my laptop to ip number doesn't work. Ping from network tool in Asus RT-AC87R router doesn't work.

Then connect to work VPN. Ping from laptop now works. Ping from network tool in router doesn't work.

(once again if I hooked up directly to cable modem from laptop ping works. I have now installed Merlin firmware to see if that would help.)