Question RT-AC87U slow Wifi?

May 12, 2019
Hey.

I bought a new router of the brand Asus rt-ac87u.
I have an internet connection Fibernet 300/300
On my desktop PC with internet cable in it i run a https://www.speedtest.net/ I have a 320 up / down 315 with a ping of about 5.

But on my mobile and tablet it is a completely different experience. if i run a speed test i only hit 70 down 100 up. It's the same on our 2 tablets

our mobile phones.
Oneplus 3t
samsung x4 I think it's called
Huawei P20 Pro
ipad mini
tablet samsung something

should just say I've tried to reset the router several times, I run on 5ghz.

are there some who can help :)?

Too many variables to predict wifi speeds. You will get faster rates if you sit next to the router than you will get in a room far away with lots of walls. It also is not just the router that determines the speed. Your end devices are 1/2 the connection and likely are the source of any slowness. It does not really do you any good to have a router that has 4x4 mimo if your end device only has 2 antenna. You will only get 2x2 and many lower end devices only have a single antenna.

You wifi speed is also greatly affected by all the other people using wifi around you. If you live in a high density area with lots of people everyone is competing for the same radio bandwidth and stomping on each other signals.

There really is not much you can do to change this. The end devices and the router will try to run the fastest methods they both support.

May 12, 2019
thanks for reply.

I forgot to write, the old router I got better speeds. but I no longer have it.

The new router is in a room, which is where I get the speeds that are mentioned above.

Can it really be true that this can't be done better?

Wifi is pretty locked down due to the vendor not wanting people to set things that would allow the equipment to violate the laws on power and frequencies.

Pretty much you only options are to change the channels but you really only have 2 option if you want to run maximum speed. You can also cut the channel width but that also reduces maximum speed.

There are a number of other options but almost everything reduces the speed. The defaults should be your best option on most routers.

Your only other option is to try firmware updates and hope there was a bug in the radio code. The radio code is not updated as much as the actual router code. The router manufacture get the radio code from the chipset provider and that is not updated very often. You could try it but that router has been on the market for quite some time it is unlikely to have major bugs.

Make very sure you are using the 5g band, make sure you use different SSID for 2.4 and 5 so you can choose which to use.