[SOLVED] RT Cores

Jaques Booble

Reputable
Aug 27, 2020
Hey all, I am in my living room with da boys and we started to discuss the 3070ti and the rumored rt cores(48). We than began to wonder what the ray tracing capabilities would be with the 3070ti. What we wanna know is what does rt cores have to do with performance on ray tracing and the future of games. Also we are wondering why the 2080ti has more rt cores than the 3070ti and what that means.

Solution
RT Cores are the bit of the GPU that processes ray tracing effects - so more = faster in ray tracing.

The other factor in ray tracing performance is the clock speed - high clocks also increase speed - so whilst an RTX 3070ti has fewer RT cores than a 2080ti, it is clocked quite a bit higher so that balances it out somewhat. I think looking at the specs though an RTX 2080ti is the more powerful card for Ray Tracing overall. The RTX 3070ti on the other hand has higher performance in other areas due to the changes made in the design - so it's the faster card for traditional graphics.
RT Cores are the bit of the GPU that processes ray tracing effects - so more = faster in ray tracing.

The other factor in ray tracing performance is the clock speed - high clocks also increase speed - so whilst an RTX 3070ti has fewer RT cores than a 2080ti, it is clocked quite a bit higher so that balances it out somewhat. I think looking at the specs though an RTX 2080ti is the more powerful card for Ray Tracing overall. The RTX 3070ti on the other hand has higher performance in other areas due to the changes made in the design - so it's the faster card for traditional graphics.

Reactions: Jaques Booble
Solution