RT-N56U is terrible... need advice for new router.

drummr8

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2010
I just purchased a new Asus RT-N56U and it's been terrible over the past month... Constantly drops connection, like many others across the web have stated. Apparently it's a common problem, especially with cable internet modems. I'm sick of dealing with it, so I'm going to return/sell the RT-N56U.

What are some comparable routers? I'm looking for something that is around or under $100 and plays well with cable internet and is RELIABLE, and doesn't boot me any time I am downloading large files.

My internet provider is Time Warner Cable in NC.

Thanks in advance.

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
Good luck. No matter which router you buy you will find some people have trouble with it. The asus are actually some of the better ones. The problem is your house not the routers. Sure some routers work better in some houses and no matter what people recommend it is based on THEIR house. You also have to be very careful of some of the bad reviews, some are so obvious the person thinks a router is a toaster and you can just plug it in and know nothing but where the ON button is.

I would suspect your issue is mostly wireless interference. So you BEST option is to not run wireless. Other than that it is the standard issue of trying different router wireless settings to get around the problem. Of course I am assuming you have already verified you have the latest firmware.

If you want another router its going to be luck if it works better or not. When you open up almost any router today you will likely find a chip that says broadcom or atheros on it. There are only a tiny handful of wireless chipset manufactures even though their are many thousands of router brands.

drummr8

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2010
Thanks for the response. I understand it will be different for every person depending on other devices in the house and stuff, I'm just looking for suggestions of other routers that are known to be decent. And yes I am running the most recent firmware. My knowledge of networking is not vast, but I did read a lot online about this router and this issue and tried changing some of the settings to no avail. If anyone has suggestions to get this router working, I'd welcome them.

cloonso

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
I have the router in question. When I first got it was horrible droped connections and all of that. I was mad, wrote a bad review, cussed at ASUS tech support, and was ready to return it. After resting it to factory and reinstalling the latest drivers I have found it to be the best router I have ever owned. Make sure you are using the proper band width. I do find that the 5ghz has very poor range compared to the 2.5ghz. I have this upstairs in a 3000 sqft house and get a good signal inside and out.

drummr8

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2010
I will try that - I have noticed that wired connections seem to be fine. Also, my girlfriend is telling me that she has no problems accessing the internet or downloading on her macbook. Interesting...