RT-N66U in extender mode

tsmac

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014
I just purchased an Asus RT-N66U wireless router. I have ATT Uverse with their modem/router combo (NVG 589). My att router and WAP (for our wireless tv's) are in the basement. My house was built in the 60's, in tornado valley and it's sub floor is subsequently made of steel and solid concrete slab. The wireless connection on the ground floor is sub-par. It will randomly dropout. The wireless tv's do this as well.

I'm trying to run the extender mode on this asus router. There is a small shaft from the basement to the attic, so I ran an Ethernet up there and connected the router. My hopes were that in extender mode, the router would utilize the LAN input instead of the wireless network, but it doesn't. It connects to the wireless network and boosts from there. Although the network is more stable upstairs, it has lost about half of its speed.

Is there a way to extend my current network, but have the new router utilize LAN to do so? I of course considered and attempted simply having a second network, but I ran into so many issues when attempting to access the router from its address (192.168.2.1), along with errors regarding conflicting IP addresses when switching networks.