[SOLVED] RTX 2060 and 1080p ?

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
hi, i found good deals on rtx 2060 6gb (and 8gb for 15$ more money) and my monitor is 1080p @ 60Hz

what can i expect from this card on aforementioned monitor?
is it able to play games on max setting Rtx On? if not, what can i expect?
also rx5500 and 5600 and 6500xt are also available .

12100 + 16Gb ram +650w Corsair PSU

Last edited:
Solution
so basically it can play almost all games on 1080 max RTX off. am i right?
Not necessarily max but high settings with some newer titles on medium. To give you some examples, Cyberpunk, Assasins Creed Valhalla and Hogwarts Legacy are some of the most demanding games currently available.

In Cyberpunk it does 65 FPS on 1080p Medium settings:
https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/4ik2ALqmP8aNnegRMTtWn.png

Assassin's Creed Valhalla does 50 FPS at 1080p Ultra settings, you could easily tweak a couple of settings to push that over 60 without any noticeable loss in quality:
https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pag...-graphics-performance-benchmark-review,5.html

Hogwarts Legacy which has only just been...
Well, obviously this depends on the game, but you should be able to easily get 60fps in almost all games on max settings, as for RTX, I doubt it.
The RTX 2060 is capable of RTX by name only, and wasn't really built to use it.
Maybe with DLSS turned on as well.
The 2060 is faster than the 5500 is and is similar to the 5600 and 6500XT.
Though I believe the 6500xt is about 10% faster.

Reactions: .valkyrie.

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
Well, obviously this depends on the game, but you should be able to easily get 60fps in almost all games on max settings, as for RTX, I doubt it.
but 6500xt is 15% more expensive and in benchmark, i thought 2060 is better....
So for the price i'm paying around 120-130$ , do you recommend it? even i have option to chose btw Asus, gigabyte, plait and MSI ..

also 1660 families are also available for 10$ less or even 20!
if Rtx wont be playable on 2060, ain't that better to pick 1660?

Seems like a reasonable deal.
When in doubt, opt for the 8gb version.
If you do not, you will forever be second guessing yourself.

Look at Tom's GPU hierarchy chart for a rough comparison of GPU capabilities:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html
What is your current GPU and CPU?
You want a GPU upgrade to be a significant step up or you may be disappointed if you do not see magical results.
Your cpu should be strong enough to drive the new GPU.
Lastly, verify that you have a sufficiently strong PSU for the new graphics card:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

No, a 2060 (even vanilla) is faster than 6500xt.

RX 6500 XT VS RTX 2060 - BENCHMARK TEST IN 14 GAMES - YouTube

Maybe you meant a 6600/xt?

It will play most games at high settings at 60 FPS at 1080p. On more demanding titles like Cyberpunk or Red Dead Redemption 2 you will probably get 60 FPS around medium settings. While it supports Ray Tracing it's not the best card for it, you really want higher end cards like a 2080 or newer 30 series cards. You may get acceptable results with RTX on low and DLSS set to quality or performance. It's the best card of the ones you mention.

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
Seems like a reasonable deal.
When in doubt, opt for the 8gb version.
If you do not, you will forever be second guessing yourself.

Look at Tom's GPU hierarchy chart for a rough comparison of GPU capabilities:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html
What is your current GPU and CPU?
You want a GPU upgrade to be a significant step up or you may be disappointed if you do not see magical results.
Your cpu should be strong enough to drive the new GPU.
Lastly, verify that you have a sufficiently strong PSU for the new graphics card:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
Intel iGPU. also i borrowed a friend 750ti.

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
It will play most games at high settings at 60 FPS at 1080p. On more demanding titles like Cyberpunk or Red Dead Redemption 2 you will probably get 60 FPS around medium settings. While it supports Ray Tracing it's not the best card for it, you really want higher end cards like a 2080 or newer 30 series cards. You may get acceptable results with RTX on low and DLSS set to quality or performance. It's the best card of the ones you mention.
i didnt knew rtx have quality as well. did i get it right? Rtx low, med or high? if so, this card can handle rtx low? or even that's too much request from this card?

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
RTX 2060 is a 1080p gpu. Should have no problems with your monitor.

I was actually supposed to buy one last year, but it is a little too long for my case. So I got an RTX 3050 instead.

be sure your case is big enough for the 2060.

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
RTX 2060 is a 1080p gpu. Should have no problems with your monitor.

I was actually supposed to buy one last year, but it is a little too long for my case. So I got an RTX 3050 instead.

be sure your case is big enough for the 2060.
i saw the picture and its a 2fan GPU. so i think thats fine. i was going to buy rx580 before chosing this but they are a 2 year older so i thought 2060 is better. also 3050 is almost 80% more expensive on 2nd hand market .
thanks

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
RTX 2060 is better than RX 580.

if you're buying second hand, be sure the gpu is working properly before you pay. Plenty of mined cards in the market right now. Some are nearly dead from mining, but still being sold to scam people.

oh, prices changed a lot I guess..

last year, when I went to the mall to buy gpu. The 3050 (8 gb) is 18,000 pesos brand new with box + warranty, the 2060 (12 gb version) is 21,000 pesos brand new with box + warranty.

Last edited:

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
RX 2060 is better than RX 580.

if you're buying second hand, be sure the gpu is working properly before you pay. Plenty of mined cards in the market right now. Some are nearly dead from mining, but still being sold to scam people.

oh, prices changed a lot I guess..

last year, when I went to the mall to buy gpu. The 3050 (8 gb) is 18,000 pesos brand new with box + warranty, the 2060 (12 gb version) is 21,000 pesos brand new with box + warranty.
how should i know if its Ok? actually a better question, how should i know if its near dead or not?

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
a safe thing to do is buy from websites with buyer protection.
that way, you can get refund if the card is faulty.

you just have to get lucky to get a decent gpu. There are fine second hand cards out there, not all are scams.

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
a safe thing to do is buy from websites with buyer protection.
that way, you can get refund if the card is faulty.

you just have to get lucky to get a decent gpu. There are fine second hand cards out there, not all are scams.
yea, i'm going to buy one from a website with 1month return policy.
but still don't know how to test it for small problem. all i know is to open furmark and stress it for temperature and also there is a msi app i can't recall right now maby kambuster or sth like that that may do vram test but i'm not sure.

also between these , Palit 2060 super 8Gb is best one. but i'm not sure if palit is a good mark or not?
other 3 option, msi 6g , asus 6gb , gigabyte 6gb. and all are dual fan edition (not sure maby they have triple fan as well)....
lets say since its 2nd hand, i want to pick best quality one and wont bother with a little more powerful. which one is better?

Last edited:

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
mined cards can pass tests successfully, but still be dead a few weeks later.
just keep using it in your favorite games when you receive the gpu. Hopefully, no problems appear.

and nothing wrong with choosing the Palit 2060. :)

hi, i found good deals on rtx 2060 6gb (and 8gb for 15$ more money) and my monitor is 1080p @ 60Hz

also rx5500 and 5600 and 6500xt are also available .

12100 + 16Gb ram +650w Corsair PSU

The 2060 will run 60 fps fine. However I havent seen anyone mention how frametimes affect the smoothness of your game.

The lower your fps, the lower the frametime. Even if your monitor cannot display more than 60fps, the game will feel smoother if its running at say, 100 fps.

It will have less hiccups, hitches, skips, etc.

If your playing a game straight at 60fps, you will have high frametimes and the games wont feel as smooth.

So performance is relevant to what is acceptable to the user. The 2060 will not be good for anything above 60-80fps with 1% lows of like 10 fps in games like Apex Legends when a lot is going on on the screen.

I always suggest people buy at minimum the 2060 super. You can usally get a good deal on them and you can more times than not apply a small OC on top of a factory OC'd card making it basically a 2070 for much cheaper.

But to answer your question, yes it will play most games med/high at 60fps. Rtx will probably not be a good experience on that card.

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
The 2060 will run 60 fps fine. However I havent seen anyone mention how frametimes affect the smoothness of your game.

The lower your fps, the lower the frametime. Even if your monitor cannot display more than 60fps, the game will feel smoother if its running at say, 100 fps.

It will have less hiccups, hitches, skips, etc.

If your playing a game straight at 60fps, you will have high frametimes and the games wont feel as smooth.

So performance is relevant to what is acceptable to the user. The 2060 will not be good for anything above 60-80fps with 1% lows of like 10 fps in games like Apex Legends when a lot is going on on the screen.

I always suggest people buy at minimum the 2060 super. You can usally get a good deal on them and you can more times than not apply a small OC on top of a factory OC'd card making it basically a 2070 for much cheaper.

But to answer your question, yes it will play most games med/high at 60fps. Rtx will probably not be a good experience on that card.
thanks.
so do you suggest palit 2060 super here from my list? i was going to pick asus one but its normal 2060 also 2Gb less memory...

I'm not hardcore gamer and probably play 1-2 game a year + my eSports are Overwatch and Dota 2 (maby 20-30 hour a year or so)

by the way, how hot is 2060? i had a bad rx580 that i refounded a month ago and that one was 82°c with case open and 89°C with case dore closed. but warranty seal was intact. since it had crash in game , i didnt reapply thermalpaste and refound it.

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
mined cards can pass tests successfully, but still be dead a few weeks later.
just keep using it in your favorite games when you receive the gpu. Hopefully, no problems appear.

and nothing wrong with choosing the Palit 2060. :)
so with that logic, should i go for best quality (i think asus is the best but not sure) or pick Super one which is palit?

by the way, here is the price.

asus then giga=palit and msi is the cheapest! and difference between asus and msi is around 7$ . so basically all are in the same price range

Not necessarily max but high settings with some newer titles on medium. To give you some examples, Cyberpunk, Assasins Creed Valhalla and Hogwarts Legacy are some of the most demanding games currently available.

In Cyberpunk it does 65 FPS on 1080p Medium settings:
https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/4ik2ALqmP8aNnegRMTtWn.png

Assassin's Creed Valhalla does 50 FPS at 1080p Ultra settings, you could easily tweak a couple of settings to push that over 60 without any noticeable loss in quality:
https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pag...-graphics-performance-benchmark-review,5.html

Hogwarts Legacy which has only just been released will do over 60 FPS at 1080p Medium settings:

Most games will run very well with a high level of detail but you will have to compromise more with newly released titles than you would with a newer GPU. This will be more an more true as time goes forward, however as of today there is no game that cannot be played successfully on a 2060.

i didnt knew rtx have quality as well. did i get it right? Rtx low, med or high? if so, this card can handle rtx low? or even that's too much request from this card?
In the games I've played that's typically the case, you would also use RTX together with DLSS. The latter of which has different modes that can prioritise quality or performance. In terms of the RTX performance you will get, I would temper your expectations, it is really something better suited to the high end cards and reviewers often dismiss it on the 2060. However to give you an idea of what performance you can get, here is Cyberpunk at 1080p Ultra Ray Tracing with DLSS set to Quality mode:
https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/hCKrNhzdb2m6ZQPkMNtPRi.png

That's doing 40 FPS with a minimum frame rate of 35 FPS. Some parts of the game are more demanding than others so you may well get less than that in some situations. However that's on Ultra, you could play with the settings to boost the frame rate. So RTX isn't necessarily unusable on the 2060, it performed better than I expected on Cyberpunk but on some games the performance loss isn't worth the additional effects. Cyberpunk is probably the best game for Ray Tracing, it really does look very impressive with it on, so if you can achieve decent performance on that then your doing fairly well. Battlefield V I think didn't run well on the 2060 with RTX but I didn't find it's implementation very impressive, it's certainly nothing like Cyberpunk.

i saw the picture and its a 2fan GPU. so i think thats fine. i was going to buy rx580 before chosing this but they are a 2 year older so i thought 2060 is better. also 3050 is almost 80% more expensive on 2nd hand market .
thanks
Your better off with the 2060 out of those 3.

Solution
thanks.
so do you suggest palit 2060 super here from my list? i was going to pick asus one but its normal 2060 also 2Gb less memory...

I'm not hardcore gamer and probably play 1-2 game a year + my eSports are Overwatch and Dota 2 (maby 20-30 hour a year or so)

by the way, how hot is 2060? i had a bad rx580 that i refounded a month ago and that one was 82°c with case open and 89°C with case dore closed. but warranty seal was intact. since it had crash in game , i didnt reapply thermalpaste and refound it.

I wouldnt buy Palit. I would buy a better brand 2060 super like Gigabyte or Asus.

Also, temps depend on YOUR setup. Your case, other hardware, and more can affect your GPU's temp.

My 2060 super never goes over 65c while gaming but I also have a 3 fan version and plenty of airflow.

To be clear here. I wouldnt buy a regular 2060. I would always opt for a 2060 super.