[SOLVED] RTX 2060 artifacts after attempting to install aio

Nov 27, 2021
I was installing an EVGA CLC 120 AIO with the NZXT G12. The mounting hardware that it came with it didn't fit my EVGA RTX 2060 Black edition, so I stupidly decided to mod the mounting bracket to align the holes to the plate. That didn't work either so I also decided to drill holes on the nzxt plate. I put a lot of Thermaltake TG-7 thermal paste, (it was the only one I had laying around) and screwed the cooler on top of. Everything was good till I installed it on the pc and turned it on. I was getting slight artifacting as shown on this pic View: https://imgur.com/Hz8e0nh
. So i immediately turned everything off and uninstalled the aio and nzxt kit. Cleaned everything on the gpu, and reinstalled the stock fan cooler. I got the same artifacting effects. I went online to do some research and found out that I might of overtightened the screws. So i let off tension on the cooler screws, and tried again. This time, I got clean signal into my monitor and everything worked as it should, I decided to open msi afterburner to see if the temperatures where doing good, and they were. Next I opened Heaven Benchmark to stress test it. It worked properly after a few minutes, the benchmarked crashed and soon after the pc shuts off too.

I tried reopening the gpu again and cleaned it with all-purpose cleaner to see if I did any damage, but I found nothing. So I gently reassembled everything again and screwed everything and stopped as soon as the screws stops turning. I reinstalled in the pc and I didn't get artifacting. So I went to stress test it again, but this time I got a BSOD, with "nvlddmkm.sys". So i tried to underclock it but the pc still crashed.
At this point, I just set it aside, and grabbed an older gpu I had laying around, and started to wait for another BestBuy gpu drop.

Solution
The mounting hardware that it came with it didn't fit my EVGA RTX 2060 Black edition

Yes, since it is clearly stated in G12 specs that it does not have support for RTX 2060;
Nvidia GPU Compatibility:
  • GeForce RTX* 2080, 2080 Ti, 2070, Titan X, Titan, Geforce GTX 1080 Ti, 1080, 1070, 1060, 980 Ti, 980, 970, 960, 780 Ti, 780, 770, 760*, 680, 670, 660Ti, 660, 580, 570 *RTX uses the ""A"" brackets for mounting Supports referenced-based design only. *Supports long PCB variant only due to PCIe power connector interference.

specs: https://nzxt.com/product/kraken-g12

I was getting slight artifacting as shown on this pic

That's bad VRAM.

so I stupidly decided to...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
The mounting hardware that it came with it didn't fit my EVGA RTX 2060 Black edition

Yes, since it is clearly stated in G12 specs that it does not have support for RTX 2060;
Nvidia GPU Compatibility:
  • GeForce RTX* 2080, 2080 Ti, 2070, Titan X, Titan, Geforce GTX 1080 Ti, 1080, 1070, 1060, 980 Ti, 980, 970, 960, 780 Ti, 780, 770, 760*, 680, 670, 660Ti, 660, 580, 570 *RTX uses the ""A"" brackets for mounting Supports referenced-based design only. *Supports long PCB variant only due to PCIe power connector interference.

specs: https://nzxt.com/product/kraken-g12

I was getting slight artifacting as shown on this pic

That's bad VRAM.

so I stupidly decided to mod the mounting bracket to align the holes to the plate. That didn't work either so I also decided to drill holes on the nzxt plate. I put a lot of Thermaltake TG-7 thermal paste, (it was the only one I had laying around) and screwed the cooler on top of. Everything was good till I installed it on the pc and turned it on.

Life lesson: do not buy incompatible hardware and then try to "mod" it.

Solution