[SOLVED] RTX 2060 blower fan rpm's normal?

Juhku

Reputable
Nov 13, 2019
I recently bought 2060 blower, everything seemed to work fine until i started a game and i immediatelly noticed the noise that started coming out of my pc. It was so loud i thought it cant be healty, anyway i checked from HWMonitor and the rpm's during the game were over 5200, i tried to do custom fan curves but they did not work in game and according to those the max rpm for the card is 4200, so this got me worrying about the 5200.

Any thoughts? Id like to know if there is a way to get custom curve to work in game, and opinions about the 5200rpm.

Solution
What application were you using to control the fan curves? Normally people use MSI afterburner to force their fan curves.

There could be an off chance your fan might be faulty. Try checking if any plugs from the fan to the PCB are not fully plugged in. Or if you really don't mind being a little risky, try flashing your graphics card VBIOS to the latest version, usually the VBIOS (microcode) controls the fans. PLEASE NOTE YOU MUST INSTALL THE VBIOS THAT WAS SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED FOR YOUR CARD. Please consult the forums of the manufacturer that made your card to get the latest version.

You will need to use nvflash to install it, please please please read a guide first for improper installation will brick your card.
What application were you using to control the fan curves? Normally people use MSI afterburner to force their fan curves.

There could be an off chance your fan might be faulty. Try checking if any plugs from the fan to the PCB are not fully plugged in. Or if you really don't mind being a little risky, try flashing your graphics card VBIOS to the latest version, usually the VBIOS (microcode) controls the fans. PLEASE NOTE YOU MUST INSTALL THE VBIOS THAT WAS SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED FOR YOUR CARD. Please consult the forums of the manufacturer that made your card to get the latest version.

You will need to use nvflash to install it, please please please read a guide first for improper installation will brick your card.

Solution

Juhku

Reputable
Nov 13, 2019
Watch the, now edited, "colorful" language, please. Thank you.

I tried evga precision x1 and msi afterburner, both of them applied to rpm after configuration but when game launched they went all <<EDITED>>-those-rules and roared to 5200rpm

Last edited by a moderator:

Juhku

Reputable
Nov 13, 2019
Then try the other two options I mentioned, checking cables and flashing VBIOS. Be very careful however

I checked the cables, actually i installed my old 1060 and tested out it to compare it for the 2060, and to my surprise 1060 actually provided better fps on the games and benchmarks i tried.

I mean blower or not, id assume that 2060 should still outperform my 1060, one example i did was borderlands 3 in-game benchmark, 1060 was 47fps and 2060 was 42fps.

Im running the following, im not sure if my ram bottlenecks things (8gb ddr3) but even if it would id still expect to see better results from 2060. Processor im using is i7-4790k.

I checked the cables, actually i installed my old 1060 and tested out it to compare it for the 2060, and to my surprise 1060 actually provided better fps on the games and benchmarks i tried.

I mean blower or not, id assume that 2060 should still outperform my 1060, one example i did was borderlands 3 in-game benchmark, 1060 was 47fps and 2060 was 42fps.

Im running the following, im not sure if my ram bottlenecks things (8gb ddr3) but even if it would id still expect to see better results from 2060. Processor im using is i7-4790k.

You should definitely be getting better FPS with a 2060, like 30+ FPS difference, and there would be little difference between a 4790k with ddr3 ram and a 9900k with ddr4 in gaming. At most a 5-8 FPS difference, it's mostly dependent on the GPU.

Something might be up with your 2060, try using unigine superposition to benchmark it. And what PSU do you have? I'm starting to think you might need to replace that card.

Juhku

Reputable
Nov 13, 2019
You should definitely be getting better FPS with a 2060, like 30+ FPS difference, and there would be little difference between a 4790k with ddr3 ram and a 9900k with ddr4 in gaming. At most a 5-8 FPS difference, it's mostly dependent on the GPU.

Something might be up with your 2060, try using unigine superposition to benchmark it. And what PSU do you have? I'm starting to think you might need to replace that card.

I have corsairs VS650, replacing the card is a tricky one, i bought it as used one and it doesnt have warranty since it was originally removed from a package computer so warranty went off the second it was removed.

I have corsairs VS650, replacing the card is a tricky one, i bought it as used one and it doesnt have warranty since it was originally removed from a package computer so warranty went off the second it was removed.

Oof, try installing it in another PCIe slot and benchmarking it again using that benchmark I recommended you (unigine). Also update Nvidia drivers and as I mentioned as well, in a last ditch effort update the VBIOS of the card.