[SOLVED] RTX 2060 fans on and off

TheTrekZMaster

Reputable
Dec 1, 2016
Hello guys!

I have a problem with my RTX 2060. It's one of those Windforce models, with the quiet fans (0 rpm) at idle thing.

At idle it's around 48-49 c, and when i do any task (It can be, open a browser or a game) then it hits around 50 c, and starts spinning around 1200-1300 rpm. When it goes under 50 c again the fans will stop (0 rpm).

The problem is that the fans will sound like it can't turn on/off, like it's constantly turning on and off.

Then.. When i start a game, like CSGO, the fans will go crazy and then go to 2000 rpm (Sounds like a jet engine) for a sec, and then stabilize with still a high rpm (1300) until it again hits under 50 c.

What i have tried:

• Googled alot
  • Reinstalled the GPU
  • Reinstalled Drivers
  • Reinstalled Windows then drivers
  • Flashed latest BIOS

I also tried to make a custom fan curve like alot of people with this issue have suggested. It fixed it for now, but the problem were still there, when i used MSI afterburner and set it to 0 % up until 50 c. It would hit 50 c and do the same on/off cycle again. The only way i could make the cycle stop was to do 40 % fan speed. If i'd go lower than 40 % the cycle would start again.

My specs:

Ryzen 3600X + Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi
Asus Rog Strix B450-f gaming
RTX 2060 Windforce OC 6 gb
16 GB ram
Case - Aerocool Quartz RGB (3 intake, 1 exhaust)

Ambient temp = 25 c

Does anybody have a solution for this problem?

Solution
Personally, I'd avoid 0RPM outright. You're always going to have a point between on/off... unless you set it low enough to be irrelevant (like 0RPM <20'C, for example).

I'd look to something like this:
999.png

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
If you're 'idling' at ~49'C, and fans set to kick in at 50'C, the on/off is exactly as expected.

<50'C, fan is off.... as soon as temps rise that +1'C, the fan jumps to whatever RPM is set at the 50'C threshold..... if you put any major strain on the GPU, temps could feasibly jump 15'C or more, near instantly - at that point, you're essentially jumping from 49% = 0RPM to ~65% = X RPM and scaling back as the GPU cools down.

You need a more gradual fan curve from ~30'C or so. Gradual increases 30'C = 25-30% fan, 50'C/50% etc.
A fairly constant 30-60% fan speed is going to a heck of a lot less noticeable than 0% - 60% - 0% in a matter of seconds.

TheTrekZMaster

Reputable
Dec 1, 2016
Well that seems to work! I will test some games etc with this.

It's just weird that Gigabyte (dunno if other brands are the same) allow 0 rpm if it's so audible and weird cycle pattern. Does this setting cost alot of power? I must say the fan on my GPU is barely audible with your settings so i guess it's not that costly, power wise.

Thank you very much for your help though! :)

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
0RPM is mostly marketing. Unless you spend your time with your GPU (mostly) dormant.

My 2070Super runs 0RPM while I'm doing work with my system inside Citrix, but I sit at 39'C max in those circumstances. If my ambient were higher, or I had poorer airflow, I'd likely be in the same position you are.

Configured correctly, and in the appropriate circumstances, 0RPM will keep the noise down.
However, with reasonable airflow & a normal number of fans in your case, you're unlikely to notice ~30% RPM in most instances. They can't account for all potential variables (is 49'C idle), but it sure 'sounds' good in marketing...