[SOLVED] RTX 2060 for inno3D 1080?

Mar 31, 2020
Hi there.

I’m not happy with the performance of my system as I believe my CPU is bottlenecking. I’ve seen builds with 7700K’s compared with 1080s.

I have an i7-7700K
RTX 2060
2133MHz 16GB CRUCIAL RAM
MSI B250M PRO-VD MOBO

Should I just buy a new CPU or go with this trade?

Solution
Whenever I play Fortnite for example, my CPU is 60% - 80% and my GPU is 40%. I have 1x16 gb.
Total cpu usage is fairly meaningless, you need to monitor each core/thread. Fortnite is not a gpu demanding so your cpu could be the limiting factor before the gpu, however modern AAA games will use the gpu much more. You are also going to loose a significant amount out performance from your slow (2133mhz) RAM which is made worse by only running in single channel (1x16gb). Ideally you would want 2x8gb 3000mhz or faster.

Edit: your motherboard only supports up to 2400mhz but you are still significantly hurt by running single channel RAM.
Why do you believe it is bottlenecking? What resolution and Hz is your monitor? Even if it is bottlenecking changing the gpu won’t improve your FPS so I see no point in that, just turn up the game settings. Any cpu upgrade will need a new motherboard. Is your RAM 2x8gb or 1x16gb?

Mar 31, 2020
Why do you believe it is bottlenecking? What resolution and Hz is your monitor? Even if it is bottlenecking changing the gpu won’t improve your FPS so I see no point in that, just turn up the game settings. Any cpu upgrade will need a new motherboard. Is your RAM 2x8gb or 1x16gb?
Whenever I play Fortnite for example, my CPU is 60% - 80% and my GPU is 40%. I have 1x16 gb.

Total cpu usage is fairly meaningless, you need to monitor each core/thread. Fortnite is not a gpu demanding so your cpu could be the limiting factor before the gpu, however modern AAA games will use the gpu much more. You are also going to loose a significant amount out performance from your slow (2133mhz) RAM which is made worse by only running in single channel (1x16gb). Ideally you would want 2x8gb 3000mhz or faster.

Edit: your motherboard only supports up to 2400mhz but you are still significantly hurt by running single channel RAM.

Solution
Mar 31, 2020
Do you think I should upgrade my motherboard and ram first? My maximum motherboard speed is 2400mhz.

Do you think I should upgrade my motherboard and ram first? My maximum motherboard speed is 2400mhz.
See my edit

You did suggest a cpu upgrade and that would require a new motherboard anyway as there is no upgrade above the 7700k that works with your motherboard. You really want dual channel RAM for gaming so you do want a 2x8gb, it would be a bit hard to justify buying slow 2133/2400 in the current day though.

Minimum would be getting a 2x8gb kit to get dual channel but now does seem a good opportunity to upgrade to 3000-3600mhz RAM with a modern cpu/motherboard combination.

Mar 31, 2020
See my edit

You did suggest a cpu upgrade and that would require a new motherboard anyway as there is no upgrade above the 7700k that works with your motherboard. You really want dual channel RAM for gaming so you do want a 2x8gb, it would be a bit hard to justify buying slow 2133/2400 in the current day though.

Minimum would be getting a 2x8gb kit to get dual channel but now does seem a good opportunity to upgrade to 3000-3600mhz RAM with a modern cpu/motherboard combination.
So if 7700K is the fastest for my socket, maybe just changing my motherboard so I can have 3000mhz ram is a good choice?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Agreed with whats said and about the ram. Curious, what resolution are you playing Fortnite in and what frame rates are you seeing? Did you set 3D resolution? Because there's two, one for the hud and another for everything else. Not sure if Fortnite automatically sets 3D resolution natively to the screen but if this is set lower, it wouldn't look great and potentially cause grief for the cpu (higher usage to maintain frame rates)

How long have you been playing Fortnite like this for? Your system, despite ram should do well in this game.

So if 7700K is the fastest for my socket, maybe just changing my motherboard so I can have 3000mhz ram is a good choice?
Buying a new motherboard for a cpu that is soon to be 3 generations old does not seem like a wise investment. FYI the newer 8th and 9th generation Intel’s still use the same socket but require a 300 series chipset so your 200 series (B250) is preventing the upgrade. However that socket and chipset is about to be replaced when 10th generation releases in 1-2 months time.

Mar 31, 2020
Agreed with whats said and about the ram. Curious, what resolution are you playing Fortnite in and what frame rates are you seeing? Did you set 3D resolution? Because there's two, one for the hud and another for everything else. Not sure if Fortnite automatically sets 3D resolution natively to the screen but if this is set lower, it wouldn't look great and potentially cause grief for the cpu (higher usage to maintain frame rates)

How long have you been playing Fortnite like this for? Your system, despite ram should do well in this game.
I get around 200 frames, but I stutter a lot. I’ve tried turning on direct x 12 and it works well but I get less frames. It’s like V-Sync without input delay.

Mar 31, 2020
Buying a new motherboard for a cpu that is soon to be 3 generations old does not seem like a wise investment. FYI the newer 8th and 9th generation Intel’s still use the same socket but require a 300 series chipset so your 200 series (B250) is preventing the upgrade. However that socket and chipset is about to be replaced when 10th generation releases in 1-2 months time.
So maybe just upgrade CPU and motherboard? I wanna upgrade over time but I’m not sure what to upgrade first.