[SOLVED] RTX 2060 FPS drops and games slow down

Oct 1, 2020
So I bought a new PC and everything was fine, I played many games and the performance was much better than my previous setup. I felt the performance could still be better but I was to still overclock the CPU. The problem started yesterday all of the sudden when Assetto Corsa a game that used to run 75fps+ with graphic mods and all suddenly jumped to 60-40 sometimes maybe even lower. I did a fix and everything seemed fine the FPS got better but didn't seem to get as good as before. That was until today where I started to play Among Us and game that shouldn't be a problem even in a old school computer but my game is lagging, it's not exactly FPS drops but a sort of lag. What could it be?

Things I should point out:
-The Nvidia control panel is super slow and it isn't supposed to be, so could be the drivers but that's odd because it was slow before the problems appeared.
  • One of the fans makes a bit of noise but a little google search says it's just a screw thing and nothing major and easily fixable.
  • My PC scored alright in User Benchmark, the CPU, GPU and SSD were subpar but not enough to justify what's happening.

Going to test some more games next and be on the lookout for answers.

Thanks.

Solution
Let's get one thing straight right from the start, Google is a good source of information, but it does NOT "know" what is wrong with ANYTHING on your computer, so don't ever assume that seemingly relevant results are the correct answer to your problem. FIND the problem, and fix it. THAT is how you will KNOW if something is actually the problem, or not. Not by assuming that Google has automagically crept in and diagnosed your system for you.

Fans don't usually make noise because of "a screw thing". They usually make noise because the motor is getting old or failing or the bearing is getting old or failing, or in some cases because a fan blade is hitting something. Occasionally, there MIGHT be situations where one of the four screws that...
Let's get one thing straight right from the start, Google is a good source of information, but it does NOT "know" what is wrong with ANYTHING on your computer, so don't ever assume that seemingly relevant results are the correct answer to your problem. FIND the problem, and fix it. THAT is how you will KNOW if something is actually the problem, or not. Not by assuming that Google has automagically crept in and diagnosed your system for you.

Fans don't usually make noise because of "a screw thing". They usually make noise because the motor is getting old or failing or the bearing is getting old or failing, or in some cases because a fan blade is hitting something. Occasionally, there MIGHT be situations where one of the four screws that holds the fan to the case might be loose or missing and there could be a vibration, but even with only three fasteners installed that would be unlikely to be noticeable at all unless the other three were all loose as well.

As far as the FPS situation is concerned, these are the most common solutions.

If there are any steps listed here that you have not already done, it would be advisable to do so if for no other reason than to be able to say you've already done it and eliminate that possibility.

First,

Make sure your motherboard has the MOST recent BIOS version installed. If it does not, then update. This solves a high number of issues even in cases where the release that is newer than yours makes no mention of improving graphics card or other hardware compatibility. They do not list every change they have made when they post a new BIOS release.

Second,

Go to the product page for your motherboard on the manufacturer website. Download and install the latest driver versions for the chipset, storage controllers, audio and network adapters. Do not skip installing a newer driver just because you think it is not relevant to the problem you are having. The drivers for one device can often affect ALL other devices and a questionable driver release can cause instability in the OS itself. They don't release new drivers just for fun. If there is a new driver release for a component, there is a good reason for it. The same goes for BIOS updates. When it comes to the chipset drivers, if your motherboard manufacturer lists a chipset driver that is newer than what the chipset developer (Intel or AMD, for our purposes) lists, then use that one. If Intel (Or AMD) shows a chipset driver version that is newer than what is available from the motherboard product page, then use that one. Always use the newest chipset driver that you can get and always use ONLY the chipset drivers available from either the motherboard manufacturer, AMD or Intel.

IF you have other hardware installed or attached to the system that are not a part of the systems covered by the motherboard drivers, then go to the support page for THAT component and check to see if there are newer drivers available for that as well. If there are, install them.

Third,

Make sure your memory is running at the correct advertised speed in the BIOS. This may require that you set the memory to run at the XMP profile settings. Also, make sure you have the memory installed in the correct slots and that they are running in dual channel which you can check by installing CPU-Z and checking the Memory and SPD tabs. For all modern motherboards that are dual channel memory architectures, from the last ten years at least, if you have two sticks installed they should be in the A2 (Called DDR4_1 on some boards) or B2 (Called DDR4_2 on some boards) which are ALWAYS the SECOND and FOURTH slots over from the CPU socket, counting TOWARDS the edge of the motherboard EXCEPT on boards that only have two memory slots total. In that case, if you have two modules it's not rocket science, but if you have only one, then install it in the A1 or DDR4_1 slot.

Fourth,

A clean install of the graphics card drivers. Regardless of whether you "already installed the newest drivers" for your graphics card or not, it is OFTEN a good idea to do a CLEAN install of the graphics card drivers. Just installing over the old drivers OR trying to use what Nvidia and AMD consider a clean install is not good enough and does not usually give the same result as using the Display Driver Uninstaller utility. This has a very high success rate and is always worth a shot.

If you have had both Nvidia and AMD cards installed at any point on that operating system then you will want to run the DDU twice. Once for the old card drivers (ie, Nvidia or AMD) and again for the currently installed graphics card drivers (ie, AMD or Nvidia). So if you had an Nvidia card at some point in the past, run it first for Nvidia and then after that is complete, run it again for AMD if you currently have an AMD card installed.

And last, but not least, if you have never done a CLEAN install of Windows, or have upgraded from an older version to Windows 10, or have been through several spring or fall major Windows updates, it might be a very good idea to consider doing a clean install of Windows if none of these other solutions has helped. IF you are using a Windows installation from a previous system and you didn't do a clean install of Windows after building the new system, then it's 99.99% likely that you NEED to do a CLEAN install before trying any other solutions.

How to do a CLEAN installation of Windows 10, the RIGHT way

Solution
Oct 1, 2020
I did the BIOS update but that wasn't the problem but I've seen to have fixed it, still gonna reinstall GPU drivers but I think the problem was that I changed Windows 10 from balanced power plan to high performance. Think that was the problem.

Do you have THESE chipset drivers installed? If not, then update.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b450

Also, make sure you have ALL of these installed, regardless of what is currently installed or "working", unless you know for certain that you have already downloaded and installed them.

Pro-M2 max Realtek audio driver: https://download.msi.com/dvr_exe/mb/realtek_audio_R.zip

Realtek LAN/Ethernet driver: https://download.msi.com/dvr_exe/mb/realtek_pcielan_w10.zip

And, it would be a good idea to go into the advanced settings for the balanced power plan and make sure that the minimum processor power state is set to somewhere between 5-8% and the max is set to 100%.

Also, in the BIOS, set all of the following.

Cool N Quiet - Enabled

Core CPPC - Enabled

CPPC preferred cores - Enabled

Advanced/Global C-states - Enabled

Precision boost overdrive (PBO/PBO2) - Disabled (Unless you have high end cooling installed. Also, standard boost profiles like Precision boost (Non-overdrive) and XFR2 should be left enabled.)

Also, you REALLY need a different power supply. That power supply is just about as bad as it gets while still having a unit sold be a well known brand.

Oct 1, 2020
Thanks, but yes I've done it all that's why I said the power plan was likely the problem since high performances put processor power state min to 100%.

I'm gonna check the BIOS settings though to see if everythings set.

And yes I cut some corners on the PSU, I will upgrade it in the future, it will have to do the job for now.

Thanks again.