[SOLVED] RTX 2060 GPU blacking out monitor

Dustix

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2015
Hello!

So I am currently having an issue with my GALAX GeForce® RTX 2060 EX White (1-Click OC) where I would usually get black screens. Either my main monitor (AOC G24G2E running 144hz through Display port 1.1) or my second monitor (HP Z24i g2 running 60hz through HDMI to DVI). Sometimes both would turn black without the monitors indicating that there is no display. The problem runs for roughly 1 second then the display(s) returns to normal. Moreover, this happens randomly like either during regular web browsing, gaming, or doing schoolwork. This also happens around once every 1-2 hours.

GPU runs in normal temps and never exceeds 80 degrees Celcius when gaming afaik. Never overclocked it too. This started happening on April 19 when I got my new monitor (the HP one). At first, it was the second monitor blacking out, then later on both monitors blackout as said previously. There were also times that the second monitor would blackout then display "static" like an old tv having no cable signal. Replugging the display cable fixes it when that problem occurs.

Solutions I have tried:
Updating GPU drivers using Nvidia Geforce(using the latest 466.27 as of 5/2/2020)
Updating Windows 10
Changing hardware (CPU, MOBO, and RAM)
Re-plugging display cables

Computer specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600(stock clock)
RAM: G.Skill 2x8Gb clocked to 3200mhz
MOBO: MSI B450M Mortar Max
GPU: GALAX GeForce® RTX 2060 White (1-Click OC)
STORAGE: 500Gb Samsung 860 EVO SSD (Boot drive), 120Gb 850 EVO SSD, Two 1Tb WD Caviar Blue HDD
PSU: EVGA 600B 80+ bronze

Are there any fixes that I could do? The card is still under warranty although the store that I bought it from only offers service warranty (I purchased it from the Philippines btw).

Last edited:
Solution
Not really. I used the dedicated Nvidia Geforce Experience to update my GPU drivers. The latest BIOS version of my motherboard is 7B89v2C. I got my PSU around 2014, so that would be around 7 years. For the model, it's a GALAX GeForce® RTX 2060 EX White (1-Click OC). I hope this link would help to get more information for the GPU https://www.galax.com/en/graphics-c...es/galax-geforce-rtx-2060ex-white-1click.html
It can be a failing PSU but I would think it would he more the issue of not enough power to the card. When running daisy chained your only getting 3/4 the power requirements to the card you need two separate cables to get the full power requirements.
Hello!

So I am currently having an issue with my GALAX GeForce® RTX 2060 White (1-Click OC) where I would usually get black screens. Either my main monitor (AOC G24G2E running 144hz through Display port 1.1) or my second monitor (HP Z24i g2 running 60hz through HDMI to DVI). Sometimes both would turn black without the monitors indicating that there is no display. The problem runs for roughly 1 second then the display(s) returns to normal. Moreover, this happens randomly like either during regular web browsing, gaming, or doing schoolwork. This also happens around once every 1-2 hours.

GPU runs in normal temps and never exceeds 80 degrees Celcius when gaming afaik. Never overclocked it too. This started happening on April 19 when I got my new monitor (the HP one). At first, it was the second monitor blacking out, then later on both monitors blackout as said previously. There were also times that the second monitor would blackout then display "static" like an old tv having no cable signal. Replugging the display cable fixes it when that problem occurs.

Solutions I have tried:
Updating GPU drivers using Nvidia Geforce(using the latest 466.27 as of 5/2/2020)
Updating Windows 10
Changing hardware (CPU, MOBO, and RAM)
Re-plugging display cables

Computer specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600(stock clock)
RAM: G.Skill 2x8Gb clocked to 3200mhz
MOBO: MSI B450M Mortar Max
GPU: GALAX GeForce® RTX 2060 White (1-Click OC)
STORAGE: 500Gb Samsung 860 EVO SSD (Boot drive), 120Gb 850 EVO SSD, Two 1Tb WD Caviar Blue HDD
PSU: EVGA 600B 80+ bronze

Are there any fixes that I could do? The card is still under warranty although the store that I bought it from only offers service warranty (I purchased it from the Philippines btw).
How are you running the power for Tue GPU? Is there one PSU cable running the GPU daisy chained or is there two separate cables?

Lutfij

Titan
When you speak of updating the GPU drivers, did you use DDU to uninstall your prior GPU drivers then reinstalling the latest in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator? Latest BIOS version for your motherboard? How old is the PSU in your build and what is the model for the VGA unit?

Dustix

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2015
How are you running the power for Tue GPU? Is there one PSU cable running the GPU daisy chained or is there two separate cables?

I'm using the PSU PCIe cable (6+2) that came with it(Yes it's daisy-chained). And if you can see the image attached, I'm using the plug at the right.
EVGA-PSU-600B-10.jpg

Dustix

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2015
When you speak of updating the GPU drivers, did you use DDU to uninstall your prior GPU drivers then reinstalling the latest in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator? Latest BIOS version for your motherboard? How old is the PSU in your build and what is the model for the VGA unit?

Not really. I used the dedicated Nvidia Geforce Experience to update my GPU drivers. The latest BIOS version of my motherboard is 7B89v2C. I got my PSU around 2014, so that would be around 7 years. For the model, it's a GALAX GeForce® RTX 2060 EX White (1-Click OC). I hope this link would help to get more information for the GPU https://www.galax.com/en/graphics-c...es/galax-geforce-rtx-2060ex-white-1click.html

It can be a failing PSU but I would think it would he more the issue of not enough power to the card. When running daisy chained your only getting 3/4 the power requirements to the card you need two separate cables to get the full power requirements.

Solution

Dustix

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2015
As of today(May 19, 2021), it appears that the PSU is the culprit. I ordered an MSI MPG A650GF last May 9 to replace my old EVGA PSU and so far there are no black screens within the span of one week and 3 days.