Question RTX 2060 + I7-9570H reaching 90° when gaming (Lenovo Y540-15IRH)

Aug 23, 2019
I have a Lenovo Y540-15IRH laptop with an RTX 2060 and a I7-9570H, and when I play Forza Horizon 4, the average CPU temperature (according to Intel XTU) is 90°C (varying between 88 and 93), with a lot of both thermal throttling and power limit throttling (almost constantly). My CPU is undervolted at -155 mV. I lifted the back of my laptop +- 7 cm for airflow. The ambient temperature is around 26 degrees. The clock speed goes from 4 GHz to +- 3.70 GHz, so it does not throttle much, although the temperatures are pretty high.

Are these temperatures normal? I read a lot of posts, and I hear people saying that temperatures of 70°C-80° Cduring load are pretty high... When playing GTA V on highest settings, my CPU temp reaches +- 80 degrees C, which is 10° C lower but still pretty high for a gpu intensive game...

Idle temperature is 40-50 degrees celcius. Interesting sidenote, when stress testing the CPU in Intel XTU (100% load), the temperature is varying between 70 and 80 degrees. So does the GPU affect the CPU temperature? (During Forza Horizon, GPU temperature is 75° almost constantly)

Last edited:

fruiten

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Yes GPU affect the CPU temperature, because most of the time they use the same heatpipes. These temperatures are pretty normal for a gaming laptop. The only thing you still can do is to re-apply the thermal paste, this decreases the temperature a few degrees most of the time.

Reactions: Victortjeuh
For performance, you might also test with limiting your CPU manually. You can do this by taking these steps:

1. Open Control Panel
  2. Select "Hardware and Sound"
  3. Select "Power Options"
  4. Select "Change plan settings" on whichever power plan you are currently using.
  5. Select "Change advanced power settings"
  6. Click the + beside "Processor Power Management" to open the drop down menu.
  7. Click the + beside "Maximum processor state"
  8. Enter 99% or any value below 100%.

By setting the system to 99%, this will effectively disable the Turbo Boost feature on the processor. The benefit of this is that it will reduce your CPU's power consumption and head production. This won't always be beneficial, but in games that are being limited by the GPU more than the CPU, it will usually provide a performance boost as it will reduce the extent to which your GPU is overheating. You may experiment with dropping the maximum processor state lower, which will further reduce heat production and may provider a more substantial performance boost, but results will vary based on numerous factors.

I do this on my gaming laptops. It's also easy to undue, just switch to another power profile or reset the processor state to 100%.

Reactions: Victortjeuh