[SOLVED] RTX 2060 not being detected

Feb 6, 2021
Got Geforce RTX 2060 from a friend and it is not being detected, device menager lists is as "standard VGA card".
I got vision on the monitor (connected thru DVI) but I'm not able to install Nvidia drivers (it gives: this driver is not compatible with this version of windows. this driver could not detect proper GPU). I have tried both versions of drivers: standard and dch with no luck.
Friend suggested it might be problem with motherboard fimware version, so I upgraded it it with no succes.
I thought it maybe the problem with old windows 7 so I upgraded it to windows 10 and still no efect.

Specs:
Motherboard: Gigabyte EP45-UD3LR F11
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
GPU: Gigabyte Geforce RTX 2060 Windforce OC6GB
Ram: DDR2 8GB 400Mhz
PSU: Bandit 650W

Is there any way to find if it is problem with drivers, the card itself or maybe compatibility with motherboard?

Solution
The problem is your BIOS. Basically you are running an out dated system which supports only LEGACY bios (basic blue screen bios)... the motherboards with these bios are limited in today's video card compatibility as they have switched to using a UEFI (fancy looking bios with a lot more options and available data basicallY) type of bios on all motherboards that came out for over a decade now. So basically you cannot run that card on that motherboard. Some more expensive motherboards of that time did come with compatibility to switch to EUFI.. but it's really not worth the investment.

I'm not sure what you paid for that card.. but it really is not worth it in your current computer. That CPU just does not have enough computing power to...
The problem is your BIOS. Basically you are running an out dated system which supports only LEGACY bios (basic blue screen bios)... the motherboards with these bios are limited in today's video card compatibility as they have switched to using a UEFI (fancy looking bios with a lot more options and available data basicallY) type of bios on all motherboards that came out for over a decade now. So basically you cannot run that card on that motherboard. Some more expensive motherboards of that time did come with compatibility to switch to EUFI.. but it's really not worth the investment.

I'm not sure what you paid for that card.. but it really is not worth it in your current computer. That CPU just does not have enough computing power to feed that video card, yes it would turn on and work. But the video card would be greatly held back from it's potential by the CPU. It would be best to return it to your friend. I'm not sure which video card you are currently using.. but if it is anything like the CPU... It would be safe to say that investing into an AMD based system with an iGPU (AMD 3200g for example) would be a big system upgrade for you. You would be looking at getting CPU, MOTHERBOARD, RAM as a minimum. This would generally come out to about 300USD. This would be the best path from my perspective.

Edit: something like a GTX550ti-750ti or amd 7970 would as strong of a card as I would suggest for your system

Reactions: khorneeq
Solution