[SOLVED] Rtx 2060 or rtx 2060 super

Obsnacks

Reputable
BANNED
Sep 21, 2019
i wanted to know which one i should buy i was going to buy the rtx 2060 super but is it really worth all the money and for the rtx 2060 how many games in future will it be able to run hight settings with no problems

Solution
Ok, so, same resolution, but going for very high frame rates. In that case, you want to have the fastest GPU for your money.

I will change what I say in terms of when to buy.

Get the monitor first. Since it has FreeSync (range 40-144) and is GSync compatible. Further, it has Low Framerate Compensation, so, if needed, it could go all the way down to adjusting to 20fps and maintaining smoothness.

I'd say, with the GSync enabled in the drivers, try out your 1060 with this monitor. The FreeSync capability will allow things to smooth out as the framerate dips for any particular game. You might find it an enjoyable experience with your existing card.

If you're still not satisfied at that point, and what much higher frame rates to...
Apr 9, 2020
Hello, your question seems hard to answer. we cannot tell you if you will be able to play many games at high settings in the future.
Questions are, do you want to buy it new? What's your budget? What's your current system? What's your screen resolution?

Obsnacks

Reputable
BANNED
Sep 21, 2019
the rtx 2070 isnt in the question because it’s expensive and the 2060s is practically the same thing but i cant decide between 2060 and the 2060s the only advantage the 2060s has is 8gb and i just cant make my mind up

Obsnacks

Reputable
BANNED
Sep 21, 2019
Yes i want it new im going to buy the founders editions only my budget whatever one that is most reasonable without spending a fortune on it my specs core i5 9400f, gtx 1060 6gb, 16g ram, z370p d3 motherboard, 3 120mm fans, m.2 250g, 1tb hard drive, 550w psu

Obsnacks

Reputable
BANNED
Sep 21, 2019
I gave them my specs core i5 9400f, gtx 1060 6gb, 16g ram, z370p d3 motherboard, 3 120mm fans, m.2 250g, 1tb hard drive, 550w psu, and yes i would like to buy new

Apr 9, 2020
Well, you already have a GTX 1060 6GB and you're running your games at 1080p 60hz. Even if you'll upgrade your monitor (btw you're gonna get to 2K or simply get one with higher hz ?) your GPU is still really good and the differences are too minor between a 1060 to a 2060 super.
I mean, there are differences but I don't believe that it would be worth upgrading. How about you overclock a bit your graphics card if you haven't done already ?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'm glad in the other thread, though, that you went with the Seasonic GX power supply. That's a good choice.

The 2060 and 2060 Super are, as you say, far better than the 1060. However, they will be a waste for now, since your monitor cannot display more than 60 frames/second.

And a 1980x1080 60hz monitor but will be upgraded in the future
How far in the future? It's really impossible to recommend a GPU unless we know what resolution and refresh rate your future monitor will be (but, make SURE you get one with FreeSync), and how far in the future this purchase will be. I would suggest holding off on purchasing a new GPU until you have chosen a new monitor. Then get advice for the GPU, and buy both the new monitor and GPU together (or at least, fairly close in time to each other)

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Also consider:

The RX 5600 XT performs at the level of the RTX 2060, but generally costs a little less
The RX 5700 performs at nearly the level of the RTX 2060 Super, but for significantly less
The RX 5700 XT performs a little better than the RTX 2070, but generally costs less than the 2060 Super

This is going to come down to personal choice, there is no right or wrong answer. Unless you change monitor it’s less likely you need to upgrade each gpu generation unless you absolutely need to be running the best settings. For most people they will be happy to drop down from ultra game settings to high or even a mixture of medium/high, the actual differences in many games is not that noticeable unless you compare static images side by side. So while there might be a decent step up going from a 1060 to 2060S at ultra settings if you are willing to compromise on settings you can get equal fps out of the 1060.

What is driving you to upgrade? Do you actually find your 1060 lacking or do you just have the itch to upgrade?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Ok, so, same resolution, but going for very high frame rates. In that case, you want to have the fastest GPU for your money.

I will change what I say in terms of when to buy.

Get the monitor first. Since it has FreeSync (range 40-144) and is GSync compatible. Further, it has Low Framerate Compensation, so, if needed, it could go all the way down to adjusting to 20fps and maintaining smoothness.

I'd say, with the GSync enabled in the drivers, try out your 1060 with this monitor. The FreeSync capability will allow things to smooth out as the framerate dips for any particular game. You might find it an enjoyable experience with your existing card.

If you're still not satisfied at that point, and what much higher frame rates to take advantage of the high refresh rate this monitor, then I would suggest getting a 5700 XT, since it's 2070 performance at 2060 Super's price.

Solution