Question rtx 2060 oxidation

Feb 14, 2022
Hello everyone,

Currently my rtx2060 went for the warranty and they say oxidation cause of outer liquid contamination which excluded from warranty and due to the prices of gpu's in my country skyrocketed ever since i bought(x4 increase in 1.5 years) i'm wondering are they trying to scam me. They even asked more money to fix it than the replace it with the current prices.

They said PCB needs replacement. I add the images they send me. Although im not even sure this is my GPU.

According to images is this look fixable? Or are they telling to truth?

4719331304416SN200351097223_1.jpg

4719331304416SN200351097223.jpg

Ralston18

Titan
Why was the GPU sent in for warranty? What was or was not happening with the GPU? How old ( 1 1/2 years)?

Heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even mining?

Where did you send or take the GPU to be repaired/replaced?

Excluding that really messy thermal paste, I see mostly just discoloration and cosmetic surface defects. Not anything that would cause or contribute to failure.

There may be other observations, thoughts, and suggestions.

Reactions: RodroX
they say oxidation cause of outer liquid contamination which excluded from warranty
I don't see signs of liquid damage. Those smudges with arrows could be fingerprints or oily residue from thermal pads.

I do see excessive use of thermal paste though. The paste is all over smd-s.
If it is electrically conductive, then this would certainly create problems.
Did you repaste it yourself?

Reactions: RodroX
Feb 14, 2022
Thanks for the replys. So as a start windows couldn't identify the GPU. I opened the device manager which showed me it's code(43) error(as i understand from google it's mosly related to hardware or driver errors ). Tried to update drivers, format the pc didn't work. Changed some bios settings to upgrade windows 11 hoping it'll work and system didnt even boot.(Probably broke some settings) Then tried to reset using pins, same result didnt boot. So I test it on a friends system(same components except supply) and it was like this. (found the image on google but pretty similar)

I heard wheezing from pc when i play bannerlord and dota. (started a month prior)

As an answer to other questions:

1. System is 1.5 years old. All together
  2. The most i played bannerlord(100 hours) but mosly dota, aoe2, oxygen not incldued. No video editing no mining. Some unity experiments only :D
  3. The place i sent is authorized technical service which provides the warranty for different brands and products. It's in Turkey so consumer rights etc is not well protected thats why i'm having second thoughts
  4. Never opened the case except cleaning dust a couple times. Used nothing wet, or vacuum etc. not even alcohol. never deattached gpu even from the pins.

Feb 14, 2022
You live near the ocean, this is indeed oxidized metal. That's gonna happen with electronics near the ocean.
I'm not near ocean. I see your point but with the relative humidity in the city and living conditions of my apartmant. I dont see its possible. Since i've no humidity problems in my apartmant. The place where my pc is located is always air fresh. (window open 7/24 since i smoke in there). And no oxidation damage near any of my pc's electonics nor any other electronics at my apartmant ever happened

Reactions: spentshells