[SOLVED] RTX 2060 should I wait?

manosklg

Commendable
Jan 7, 2019
Hello everyone! So, the rtx 2060 is finally released and i want to buy either the msi gaming Z version or the asus rog strix one. First of all which one should i buy? Now, im going to build my pc in May. Should I buy the card now since it also comes with a Battlefield V or Anthem code (I will save some money since I won't need to buy the game separately) , or just wait until I have all the money for the build? The card's price is kinda okay now considering what its offering in terms of gaming. I'm afraid that if I wait until May, the price will increase (I will also not have the ability to get the free code for battlefield).

I will be pairing the 2060 with a ryzen 5 2600 processor and will be playing games like Far cry 5, Battlefield V, witcher 3 etc. in 1080p 144hz because I dont want to kill my framerate by going for 1440p.
Thanks!

Solution

The problem is screen tearing. Any time the FPS exceeds the normal 60Hz, screen tearing becomes more likely to occur. A 144Hz monitor brings that scenario up to 144 FPS without screen tearing (for the most part). Screen tearing is monitor dependent but the likely hood of screen tearing is much less of a problem. And that is where G-sync and FreeSync come in to reduce it even more.

If you intend to game much a 144...
That is a good point. Do you have another system (or even a freind's system) that you can install the graphics card to verify that it works.

Depending upon where you would purchase it from you have up to 30 days to return it. For example, Amazon and Newegg have a 30 day return period.

But on the other hand, I don't really anticipate the price going up in the near future (barring more tariff war effects).

manosklg

Commendable
Jan 7, 2019
Didnt think about that actually. And no I'm not putting it in another rig. It will be my first gaming PC build. Seems like I will have to wait until May. What do you guys think about the monitor tho? Is 144hz okay for the rtx 2060 or is it too much at 1080p? I don't think I will be reaching 144fps in most games

The problem is screen tearing. Any time the FPS exceeds the normal 60Hz, screen tearing becomes more likely to occur. A 144Hz monitor brings that scenario up to 144 FPS without screen tearing (for the most part). Screen tearing is monitor dependent but the likely hood of screen tearing is much less of a problem. And that is where G-sync and FreeSync come in to reduce it even more.

If you intend to game much a 144 Hz monitor is a good idea.

And testing the graphics card in another system is just to see if the graphics card is operational. Start to finish, you are looking at around 30 minutes.

Solution

manosklg

Commendable
Jan 7, 2019
Ah I see. Unfortunately none of my friends has a PC to test my new video card, only laptops. Unless I find someone else tho. Thanks a lot for your help! Appreciate it !