Question RTX 2060 Super and Valve Index - Sudden frame dropping and crashing ?

Nov 6, 2020
Ive had my rig and the index for about 6 months and until now there have been no issues. current rig is as follows:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/taukarrie/saved/vHp2Vn

Recently I've been getting a lot of stuttering from frame dropping on all VR titles. It even happens in the Steam VR home space. Games I have tested are A Township Tale, Raw Data, No Mans Sky, Arizona Sunshine, The Steam Lab, Beatsaber, Space Pirate Trainer. All are now seeing noticeable amounts of stuttering after several months of smooth performance. Township Tale is the one that is worst of all. There I am experiencing freeze ups, sometimes preceded by audio tearing that lock my PC so I have to hard reset, or will force the PC to restart itself. Occasionally the audio tearing will just disable sound instead of leading to a crash and ill have to manually select the Index as my audio device in windows settings and then restart Steam VR.

I'm aware of the current controversy with the Nvidia driver 457.09 causing frame drop issues for lots of Index users with 2000 series cards so I have rolled back to a few different older drivers to test. Using driver 446.14 things seemed vastly improved. But i was still getting those freeze up crashes. This was never an issue before so Im starting to wonder if my power supply just isnt delivering enough anymore, despite being less than a year old. From what Ive read those types of crashes are indicative of failing power supplies. That particular game is likely poorly optimized at the moment and could be placing a heavy load on the card. But it cant be more poorly optimized than No Mans Sky in VR and im not getting crashing there. just bad performance overall.

So I may be dealing with bad drivers, pooly optimized games, and a potentially faulty PSU all at once but Im having trouble isolating anything to troubleshoot and start ruling things out. Ive been using HWMonitor to monitor my GPU and CPU stats during play but the only thing standing out is that my GPU usage spikes to 100% when the stuttering occurs, or when one of the crashes happen. I also did a 10-hour burn-in test of my CPU, GPU and RAM with aida64. nothing amiss there either.

Any advice?

Sep 8, 2020
I'm having the same thing on a 2060 and a 2600. Great VR performance for months and then everything is a laggy, stuttery mess. When I rolled back my nvidia drivers it didn't even fix the performance so who knows?

Nov 6, 2020
I opened the case and used a whole can of air to spray it all out thoroughly. There was a noticeable amount of fibers buildup. I also switched my usb connection to the USB 3.1 gen 2 slot instead of gen 1. Seems to have actually helped a lot