[SOLVED] RTX 2060 super gaming x temperature

nTudor

Commendable
Mar 16, 2020
Hello, guys.

Can anyone please tell me the normal idle temp for rtx 2060 super gaming x ?
Mine slowly goes up to 60C in idle. In full load the card has 65-67C.
I don't think airflow is the problem. Maybe there is some kind of invisible application that uses my card ? Reinstalling windows may solve the issue ?

Thank you.

Solution
Completely normal for the RTX 2060 Super Gaming X to idle at that temp. The only thing that should concern you is if the fans do not kick on when the temps hit 145f/62c, as that's what it is set at by default. These cards run hot, especially the SGX at 8GB due to its boost clocking. If you're really worried about it you can do as someone else suggested (afterburner), but the only thing you need to worry about there is that those fans on your video card are like any other, and they'll die long before your gpu would burn out. You're fine leaving it as it is unless you live in a tropical environment that is prone to moisture, or are having over all mother board heating problems, etc. I use AIDA64 to keep sensors pinged, you may want to...

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Hello, guys.

I don't think airflow is the problem. Maybe there is some kind of invisible application that uses my card ? Reinstalling windows may solve the issue ?

Thank you.

Hi @nTudor

Do you have any fan software running, such as Precision X1 or MSI Afterburner? If not and you are concerned about temps, you can download both for free. (Even if you don't have an EVGA or MSI GPU)

As for normal temps, max is 89c. (For the reference card. Not sure if it's the same for your particular model) Before it reaches that though, it'll start throttling itself back as a failsafe to help lower it's temps. As for idle temps, around 51 is normal for your particular card. This of course entirely depends on airflow & ambient temps where you live and inside your case. If you have your AC on or live where it's cool, your temps would be lower.

As you know, a cooler card is a happier card. Make sure it's fan & heatsink are cleaned regularly. Is the card under warranty? If not, you may want to think about re-pasting it. Undervolting it can also help keep your temps down a little.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2020
I recently assembled a 3700X/2060S system for a friend,
The temps you are seeing are completely normal for your card.
Also the Gaming X has a the ability to stop the fans at idle, hence your idle temps are just the result of the card targeting that temp by turning the fans on only when exceeding it, same happened to the Gigabyte card I put in friends system.
If you really want low idle temps you could probably disable the 0-dB mode from the MSI's software that came with the GPU or set a custom fan curve in afterburner that always stays above the duty cycle at which the fans turn off, usually set at 20-30% fan speed.
No need to worry about overheating either, any GPU made in the last 10 years will stay within its thermal limit (usually a VERY conservative 80-something degrees for nVidia) by lowering the clock speed if necessary.
Matter of fact you could probably remove the fans from you GPU heat sink and the only drawback would be lower performance, reliability would stay the same, as even 80 to 90 degrees is perfectly fine for a GPU.

refriedfood

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2012
Hello, guys.

Thank you.
Completely normal for the RTX 2060 Super Gaming X to idle at that temp. The only thing that should concern you is if the fans do not kick on when the temps hit 145f/62c, as that's what it is set at by default. These cards run hot, especially the SGX at 8GB due to its boost clocking. If you're really worried about it you can do as someone else suggested (afterburner), but the only thing you need to worry about there is that those fans on your video card are like any other, and they'll die long before your gpu would burn out. You're fine leaving it as it is unless you live in a tropical environment that is prone to moisture, or are having over all mother board heating problems, etc. I use AIDA64 to keep sensors pinged, you may want to look into it. If your gpu, even with it running how it's supposed to, ever reaches 87c you can have it give you an alert, so you can avoid cracking your gpu at 89c/192f.

Again, though, nothing to worry about as that temp is common for this card. Your full load temp and fan usage are more important. As long as they're functioning correctly and keeping you under a crack, you're good.

nTudor

Commendable
Mar 16, 2020
Completely normal for the RTX 2060 Super Gaming X to idle at that temp. The only thing that should concern you is if the fans do not kick on when the temps hit 145f/62c, as that's what it is set at by default. These cards run hot, especially the SGX at 8GB due to its boost clocking. If you're really worried about it you can do as someone else suggested (afterburner), but the only thing you need to worry about there is that those fans on your video card are like any other, and they'll die long before your gpu would burn out. You're fine leaving it as it is unless you live in a tropical environment that is prone to moisture, or are having over all mother board heating problems, etc. I use AIDA64 to keep sensors pinged, you may want to look into it. If your gpu, even with it running how it's supposed to, ever reaches 87c you can have it give you an alert, so you can avoid cracking your gpu at 89c/192f.

Again, though, nothing to worry about as that temp is common for this card. Your full load temp and fan usage are more important. As long as they're functioning correctly and keeping you under a crack, you're good.
Thanks for your reply, man.

As I said in a previous post, it was some invisible application that used my card. After re-installing the windows, the problem was solved. My card now has 37-40C in idle, 55-65C during gaming.

Reactions: carlosxcorrea
Solution

refriedfood

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2012
Thanks for your reply, man.

As I said in a previous post, it was some invisible application that used my card. After re-installing the windows, the problem was solved. My card now has 37-40C in idle, 55-65C during gaming.
Good to hear! Do you remember what programs or components they were? Any system details might help someone in the future who is having the same problem (and finds this thread). I'm glad you're were you want to be with it. Game on.

May 31, 2020
Also i hope this helps in searches, i noticed my rtx 2060 super was sitting at 57C idle.. i run a 3 monitor setup, 2 of which are capable of 144hz, i changed my secondary 144hz monitor to 60hz and now my gpu sits at 47C with all three monitors on. Hopes this helps another question for some ! Also my main 144hz monitor is an IPS panel . So i assume that adds to the warmth of the gpu faxCheer faxF