[SOLVED] RTX 2060 Super now or wait for RTX 3060So

FluffyFlounder

Reputable
Feb 21, 2019
So last year I got a GTX 1660 along with an i5-9400f for my first build, and I've acquired some spare change ($400) and I think I'm gonna upgrade my GPU (it's not performing as well as I expected). So, I was doing some research and found that the RTX 2060 Super perfectly fit my budget, pairs nicely with my CPU, and is a whole lot better than the GPU I have currently (about 70% better actually). However, after digging a little more, I started hearing about the new RTX 30xx series. Then I saw the leaked specs and release dates and thought, I'm not sure if I can wait 8 months... However, I saw that the RTX 3060 was supposedly better than the RTX 2080ti. But that raised another question; How badly bottlenecked would my CPU be? So, I'm going to the tech nerds for help.
TL;DR
Do I wait 8 months for a monster card that will badly bottleneck my CPU or do I get an RTX 2060 Super now
I just don't want to get the card and then have some new crazy thing come out and make my new GPU "garbage" or obsolete.
Thanks bois

Solution
So... I should just buy the rtx 2060 super?

Only if you cant handle the performance of your 1660 and its bugging you but i would wait for other comments before you buy because you could buy 2060 super now and in sept you regret it! This is hard thing to decide when new cards are on there way out! I have 2080ti and there no point of me getting 3080ti because 2080ti still powerful to run aaa games at good speeds and fps!
This is one thing about knowing new gpu cards are coming out people will querstion whenever to buy the new cards or before cards. All what matters that is this card going to give you better performance or is it going to be an overkill!. I say buy new card if you cant handle the performance right now or if you can handle the performance of 1660 then save up for new cards!

So... I should just buy the rtx 2060 super?

Only if you cant handle the performance of your 1660 and its bugging you but i would wait for other comments before you buy because you could buy 2060 super now and in sept you regret it! This is hard thing to decide when new cards are on there way out! I have 2080ti and there no point of me getting 3080ti because 2080ti still powerful to run aaa games at good speeds and fps!

Solution

FluffyFlounder

Reputable
Feb 21, 2019
Well, I guess new cards are always gonna be on the way, you gotta make up your mind at some time. I waited 3 months deciding on the i5-9400f or the i5-9600k. I went for the 9400f bc its a lot cheaper. Well, guess what. One month after I bought it and the price went from 210$ to 150$. The i5-9600k went from 260$ to 200$.

ccrocker58

Prominent
Mar 16, 2020
Well, I guess new cards are always gonna be on the way, you gotta make up your mind at some time.

Pretty much this. I was in a similar situation a few weeks ago. I was debating on getting a 2080 Super or waiting for the 30 series. I decided on just getting the 2080 Super. I could afford it now and it would run everything for quite some time perfectly fine. In a couple years, if I'm noticing some performance issues, then I'll consider upgrading to a 30.