[SOLVED] RTX 2060 super or RTX 2070

Mekin69

BANNED
Aug 31, 2019
I am trying to buy a new card and can't decide between theses two. I can get them at a similar price but wanted to know which would be better.
I plan to play at 2k resolution but right now I'm playing at 1080p 144hz .
I want to spend around 350-400$

Solution
i woud wait, unless the deal is superb, the 3xxx series will be presented soon enough and they should be available Q2, the new architecture suggest several improvements over the 1st rtx gen, ofc the 50% performance gain is speculations, but idk, 30% could be possible, plus better energy efficiency and all. I almost bought an RTX 2070s but im glad i didnt and am waiting for the 2nd gen, thats what i'd do if i were you.... hold on to that cash maybe u can save a bit more... it most certainly will prove to be worth it.

I don't think we will see RTX 3xxx series cards in Q2. And here is why: they want to see the performance and price of AMDs big Navi, which will come out later this year. So they can adjust pricing on the RTX3xxx...

mjbn1977

Distinguished
The 2070 (non-super) is about 5% faster than the 2060 super (2070 has more cores, 2060 super a higher clock). Both have 8GB VRAM, what is a sweet spot for 2k. Technically 6GB are enough, but 8GB set you better up for the future.

Both cards support Ray Tracing. But the 2070 comes with more RT cores. So you will get Ray Tracing performance with the 2070 (like in BF5, SOTTombRaider, Metro Exodus, COD Modern Warfare, Control, Cyberpunk later this year). This is a nice to have, but not a must. The next gen consoles will support ray tracing (both ps5 and xbox x series, as well as next gen AMD navi cards). That's why I am sure that we will see many more games with Ray Tracing in the future. So, if you can afford the 2070, you might want to go with it. But that is for you to decide.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mekin69
If they are similar price then get the stronger card. I can’t see why you would pick a weaker card at the same price point. I know deals do come up, I got a 2080 Super a couple of months ago for less than I could find a 2080.

As you want to go 2k 144Hz you want the strongest GPU your budget will allow. I’m running my 2080 Super on a 1440p 144Hz and I run a mixture of high to max settings to achieve a minimum of 100 FPS in my games. The point being even stronger cards cannot run max settings at over 100 FPS.

i woud wait, unless the deal is superb, the 3xxx series will be presented soon enough and they should be available Q2, the new architecture suggest several improvements over the 1st rtx gen, ofc the 50% performance gain is speculations, but idk, 30% could be possible, plus better energy efficiency and all. I almost bought an RTX 2070s but im glad i didnt and am waiting for the 2nd gen, thats what i'd do if i were you.... hold on to that cash maybe u can save a bit more... it most certainly will prove to be worth it.

mjbn1977

Distinguished

I don't think we will see RTX 3xxx series cards in Q2. And here is why: they want to see the performance and price of AMDs big Navi, which will come out later this year. So they can adjust pricing on the RTX3xxx series cards and tweak performance as needed. Here is what I think is going to happen: We will learn more details about Ampere at the GDC end of March when maybe the professional non-gaming cards are introduced. Most likely we will learn about RTX 3080 and RTX 3070 in August at the Gamescom in Germany with a possible launch maybe in September or October.

Mekin69 shouldn't wait for these cards. Because both cards will not be in his budget and lower end cards will most likely not launch before early 2021.

Solution

FurryVengence

Commendable
Jul 26, 2019
Overall I've generally been a big fan of 70 series for GeForce, however I had 2060 SUPER for a time and I was overall impressed with what it could handle. You can definitely take older games into 1440P with little issue. But expect newer games, needed to crank the settings down a bit. It will definitely depend of the game and engine though

Last I read was NVidia had only said H2 2020, not Q2.

Mekin69

BANNED
Aug 31, 2019
The 2070 (non-super) is about 5% faster than the 2060 super (2070 has more cores, 2060 super a higher clock). Both have 8GB VRAM, what is a sweet spot for 2k. Technically 6GB are enough, but 8GB set you better up for the future.

Both cards support Ray Tracing. But the 2070 comes with more RT cores. So you will get Ray Tracing performance with the 2070 (like in BF5, SOTTombRaider, Metro Exodus, COD Modern Warfare, Control, Cyberpunk later this year). This is a nice to have, but not a must. The next gen consoles will support ray tracing (both ps5 and xbox x series, as well as next gen resolution). That's why I am sure that we will see many more games with Ray Tracing in the future. So, if you can afford the 2070, you might want to go with it. But that is for you to decide.

Thanks a ton for all the info