[SOLVED] RTX 2060 Super/Ray Tracing Questions

alkingrey

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2012
Ok, I have Dual Monitors and I normally play on my 1080p @ 75hz monitor, but i have an Older Asus 1600x900 so here's my questions
1: Would the RTX 2060 Super be able to run games on Max Graphics with Ray Tracing Ultra Enabled @ 1660x900
2: Is it Possible that Ray Tracing will get more Optimized through Patches/Fixes/Drivers?
If Not and Ray Tracing is going to be Viable until a Later Series of GPUs should I still get the 2060 Super, Radeon 5700XT, or 5600XT for 1080p @ 75hz gaming.
Thanks In Advance for the Help!
🐪

Solution
I agree with all this, I'll just expand on it a bit.

1. Whether or not you can run ray tracing and everything else on ultra at those resolutions varies from game to game. Take the three earliest ray-traced games for example: Battlefield V, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Metro Exodus. They all run a different form of ray tracing, come with DLSS 1.0 (the old version that makes things look kind of crappy) and are late 2018 to early 2019 titles which means they are unlikely to get very many more updates from an optimization/ray tracing perspective. Those games will be difficult for you to run with everything turned up all the way because you don't have the version of DLSS (2.0) that's worth using available. I should know, I have played all...

1. Whether or not you can run ray tracing and everything else on ultra at those resolutions varies from game to game. Take the three earliest ray-traced games for example: Battlefield V, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Metro Exodus. They all run a different form of ray tracing, come with DLSS 1.0 (the old version that makes things look kind of crappy) and are late 2018 to early 2019 titles which means they are unlikely to get very many more updates from an optimization/ray tracing perspective. Those games will be difficult for you to run with everything turned up all the way because you don't have the version of DLSS (2.0) that's worth using available. I should know, I have played all three games with my RTX 2080 Founder's Edition. Newer ray traced games will be easier because they come with DLSS 2.0 which is worth using and will give you better frame rates with less of a drop in image quality.

2. The game developers make a choice as to how intensely to apply a given form of ray tracing and then add or remove how much of a given scene is ray traced depending on what quality preset you are using. You can't further "optimize" ray tracing because you can't trace a given number of rays with less compute power than before. Unless they completely screw up their day 1 implementation, the ray tracing optimization you have on day one is the same you'll have months later.

3. I agree, you should avoid the 5600 / 5700; months later, people are still having problems with them.

Side note: if you really want better ray tracing potential, wait a few months for the RTX Ampere cards to land. The RTX 20XX series is a first gen effort; second gen will be much improved.

Solution

alkingrey

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2012

1. Whether or not you can run ray tracing and everything else on ultra at those resolutions varies from game to game. Take the three earliest ray-traced games for example: Battlefield V, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Metro Exodus. They all run a different form of ray tracing, come with DLSS 1.0 (the old version that makes things look kind of crappy) and are late 2018 to early 2019 titles which means they are unlikely to get very many more updates from an optimization/ray tracing perspective. Those games will be difficult for you to run with everything turned up all the way because you don't have the version of DLSS (2.0) that's worth using available. I should know, I have played all three games with my RTX 2080 Founder's Edition. Newer ray traced games will be easier because they come with DLSS 2.0 which is worth using and will give you better frame rates with less of a drop in image quality.

2. The game developers make a choice as to how intensely to apply a given form of ray tracing and then add or remove how much of a given scene is ray traced depending on what quality preset you are using. You can't further "optimize" ray tracing because you can't trace a given number of rays with less compute power than before. Unless they completely screw up their day 1 implementation, the ray tracing optimization you have on day one is the same you'll have months later.

3. I agree, you should avoid the 5600 / 5700; months later, people are still having problems with them.

Side note: if you really want better ray tracing potential, wait a few months for the RTX Ampere cards to land. The RTX 20XX series is a first gen effort; second gen will be much improved.
Ok, so I'm an IT Guy by trade and you make me feel like the dude that's got Cap Locks on entering his Pword, or Using ,com instead of .com
Alright well, Here is what ended up happening, I have a Tomahawk B450 Max W/ Ryzen7 3700x & 32gb of 3200 ram(4x8gb Corsair Vengeance) Corsair CX750 PSU and Currently a
Sapphire Radeon PULSE RX 5600 XT 6GB GDDR6 OC w/ backplate (UEFI) PCIe 4 0 Graphics Card.
(GPU was Anniversary Gift from my Lady) well, Amazon was cool and sent me a Return form so I'm thinking of sending back the Sapphire 5600XT Pulse, tho I haven't had any problems with the Drivers, maybe that's just luck, but if in your oppinion 2nd gen DLSS cards will be coming soonish, I may just hang on to it until then, unless it's really woth getting that 2060 instead?

Ok, so I'm an IT Guy by trade and you make me feel like the dude that's got Cap Locks on entering his Pword, or Using ,com instead of .com
Alright well, Here is what ended up happening, I have a Tomahawk B450 Max W/ Ryzen7 3700x & 32gb of 3200 ram(4x8gb Corsair Vengeance) Corsair CX750 PSU and Currently a
Sapphire Radeon PULSE RX 5600 XT 6GB GDDR6 OC w/ backplate (UEFI) PCIe 4 0 Graphics Card.
(GPU was Anniversary Gift from my Lady) well, Amazon was cool and sent me a Return form so I'm thinking of sending back the Sapphire 5600XT Pulse, tho I haven't had any problems with the Drivers, maybe that's just luck, but if in your oppinion 2nd gen DLSS cards will be coming soonish, I may just hang on to it until then, unless it's really woth getting that 2060 instead?

Sorry man, I meant no disrespect. Since its usually difficult to gauge the experience level of someone asking for help through a single post, I error on the side of over-explaining things; I'd rather be extra thorough than leave people with an incomplete picture.

I'm glad that your 5600 XT hasn't been giving you any problems, but seeing as how important ray tracing seems to you, taking advantage of your 5600 XT still being in the return window on amazon sounds logical; you'll have lost little to no money in the transaction and can get the RTX 2060 Super without taking a loss. Yes, the Ampere cards are likely to drop in September/October with significantly improved ray tracing, but a) your 5600 XT will be outside the return window by then and b), Nvidia is likely to release the 3080/3080 Ti first and wait a few months for the 3070 and 3060, so that'll be a bit of a wait. At the same time, AMD is supposed to release ray-tracing capable cards in the near future, but I don't know to what degree, how well and at what price. It'll be a first gen effort for AMD and honestly, DLSS 2.0 is very useful to have, so I'd personally stick with Nvidia whether you trade your card in right now or several months from now. Up to you though!

alkingrey

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2012
Sorry man, I meant no disrespect. Since its usually difficult to gauge the experience level of someone asking for help through a single post, I error on the side of over-explaining things; I'd rather be extra thorough than leave people with an incomplete picture.

I'm glad that your 5600 XT hasn't been giving you any problems, but seeing as how important ray tracing seems to you, taking advantage of your 5600 XT still being in the return window on amazon sounds logical; you'll have lost little to no money in the transaction and can get the RTX 2060 Super without taking a loss. Yes, the Ampere cards are likely to drop in September/October with significantly improved ray tracing, but a) your 5600 XT will be outside the return window by then and b), Nvidia is likely to release the 3080/3080 Ti first and wait a few months for the 3070 and 3060, so that'll be a bit of a wait. At the same time, AMD is supposed to release ray-tracing capable cards in the near future, but I don't know to what degree, how well and at what price. It'll be a first gen effort for AMD and honestly, DLSS 2.0 is very useful to have, so I'd personally stick with Nvidia whether you trade your card in right now or several months from now. Up to you though!
I wasn't affended, I meant it as a Compliment haha.
Yeha I thought the same thing about the AMD cards after reading your post, I've actually always been an AMD-CPU/Nvidia-GPU builder, so I'll prolly grab that 2060 Super, and when the 30XX series drops I'll wait for the 3060 Super/Ti and pick it up.
The Sapphire is past the Return date but Amazon customer service was extremely helpful and sent me the Return/Refund docs anyway because i explained the Situation that she Bought one of 3 cards i had in a wish list not knowing that there was anything different besides the brands, I think I'm 1+ Month past the return window and they went ahead and helped me out.

I wasn't affended, I meant it as a Compliment haha.
Yeha I thought the same thing about the AMD cards after reading your post, I've actually always been an AMD-CPU/Nvidia-GPU builder, so I'll prolly grab that 2060 Super, and when the 30XX series drops I'll wait for the 3060 Super/Ti and pick it up.
The Sapphire is past the Return date but Amazon customer service was extremely helpful and sent me the Return/Refund docs anyway because i explained the Situation that she Bought one of 3 cards i had in a wish list not knowing that there was anything different besides the brands, I think I'm 1+ Month past the return window and they went ahead and helped me out.
That was nice of them!

Yeah, sounds like a good plan to me; get that 2060 Super now, and then get an Ampere card later when Nvidia and AMD have released all their new stuff, the reviews are in, and the price wars have settled down. Meanwhile you can enjoy ray tracing, DLSS, all that good stuff.

What games are you looking forward to playing the most?

alkingrey

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2012
That was nice of them!

Yeah, sounds like a good plan to me; get that 2060 Super now, and then get an Ampere card later when Nvidia and AMD have released all their new stuff, the reviews are in, and the price wars have settled down. Meanwhile you can enjoy ray tracing, DLSS, all that good stuff.

What games are you looking forward to playing the most?
Well as of right now I got slow internet(Playing Off MiFi and Phone Data) so just been playing FFXIV a lot, but I wanna try Exodus, Control, RedDead2 Monster hunter World, the Resident evil remakes, once I get a Goo Internet Connection , Battlefield, and I'm even considering trying COD again, stopped play after World at War and Black Ops1. I was Always a BF fanboy. but most of all, this whole build was started so i could play Cyberpunk 2077!

Well as of right now I got slow internet(Playing Off MiFi and Phone Data) so just been playing FFXIV a lot, but I wanna try Exodus, Control, RedDead2 Monster hunter World, the Resident evil remakes, once I get a Goo Internet Connection , Battlefield, and I'm even considering trying COD again, stopped play after World at War and Black Ops1. I was Always a BF fanboy. but most of all, this whole build was started so i could play Cyberpunk 2077!
Nice! I played Metro Exodus with Ray-traced global illumination and everything else set to ultra on my 1080p g-sync monitor, no DLSS, using my RTX 2080. Got 80 fps on average, it dropped to as low as 43 in a few really intense places. Control has DLSS 2.0, but it uses both ray traced reflections and shadows, so it's still hard to run with everything turned up, even with my 2080 and DLSS 2.0. Battlefield V was fun, but the ray-traced reflections were meh in my opinion, not worth the graphical horsepower needed to run them.

Cyberpunk 2077 looks like it'll be pretty intense. Yeah, you'll definitely be eyeing that RTX 3060 when Cyberpunk comes out in November if you want to push that 1080p monitor anywhere near 75 Hz at ultra lol. Is it G-sync or freesync?

alkingrey

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2012
no, but that's on the List, decided to stick with AMD 5600XT Pulse, until RTX 30XX comes out it's honestly been pretty great. Thanks for all the Help guys, I seriously don't understand why anyone uses any other Site for PC/Tech help, best community BY FAR.