Question RTX 2060 triggers VGA light, POST beeps, and restart if PC is turned on before the display

Jan 30, 2023
Recently got an ASUS EVO RTX 2060 and it works pretty well. However when I turn on my PC before my display (or if there is no display plugged in at all), it will trigger a red VGA light on the motherboard, three long POST beeps, then restart and boot into the OS as normal. I never had any issue like this with my old GPU (a 750 Ti lol), and someone I know who owned a 2060 never had the same issue.
The three POST beeps are the most confusing since for this motherboard (MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk), they mean there's a RAM issue, which I know isn't the case since the only variable changed was the GPU.
As for the VGA light, the motherboard manual just says "GPU/PCIE not defected or fail" which doesn't really tell me anything since the GPU works as normal after the restart.

Not sure if this is "normal", a driver issue, a BIOS support issue, or something else?

Reactions: th3reaperskullpt

th3reaperskullpt

Prominent
Dec 27, 2022
Recently got an ASUS EVO RTX 2060 and it works pretty well. However when I turn on my PC before my display (or if there is no display plugged in at all), it will trigger a red VGA light on the motherboard, three long POST beeps, then restart and boot into the OS as normal. I never had any issue like this with my old GPU (a 750 Ti lol), and someone I know who owned a 2060 never had the same issue.
The three POST beeps are the most confusing since for this motherboard (MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk), they mean there's a RAM issue, which I know isn't the case since the only variable changed was the GPU.
As for the VGA light, the motherboard manual just says "GPU/PCIE not defected or fail" which doesn't really tell me anything since the GPU works as normal after the restart.

Not sure if this is "normal", a driver issue, a BIOS support issue, or something else?

Since no one has been able to answer you, I'll be happy to help.
I already had a problem similar to yours but I'm going to consider that the source of the problem is another one and for that reason I'm going to advise some things to see if it solves it.

1. Clear CMOS

2. Check the life of the disk you have installed in the operating system I have a very big reason related to a problem I had previously. I advise programs like Hard Disk Sentinel.

3. Check if the problem occurs with just one stick of memory, (try them both, if you have 4 try them until you identify if that's where the problem comes from. )
I advise you to carefully clean the teeth of the ram with an eraser.

4. If your pc has a lot of dust, clean the PCI connectors and the RAM slots with something like a vacuum cleaner that sends air for example.

5. What is your PSU?

For now this is what I can help you with, then send me some feedback on the situation.